This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2903 / 52°17'25"N
Longitude: -0.8526 / 0°51'9"W
OS Eastings: 478358
OS Northings: 266419
OS Grid: SP783664
Mapcode National: GBR BVR.79V
Mapcode Global: VHDRT.5PML
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360375
Location: Moulton, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN3
Civil Parish: Moulton
Built-Up Area: Northampton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Moulton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
MOULTON CHURCH STREET
SP7866 (West side)
16/122 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. C12 and C13. Squared coursed lias and limestone ashlar with lead roof.
Aisled nave and chancel and west tower. Chancel projects only slightly from east
end of the north and south aisles and has 4-light Perpendicular window with
4-centred head. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. South aisle
of 4-window range of three 4-light windows with 4-centred heads to right, and
one 2-light window with Y-tracery to left. 4-light east window with Y-tracery
and 2-light C20 west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. South
porch to left has double chamfered arch with corbelled responds. Shallow pitched
roof with ashlar gable parapets. North aisle of 3-window range of two 3-light
windows with reticulated tracery to left and one 2-light window with Y-tracery
to right. North doorway with double chamfered pointed arch. 3-light east window
with reticulated tracery and 2-light west window with Y-tracery. Gabled roof
with ashlar parapets. Nave clerestory of 5-window range of 2-light square headed
windows. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar parapets with animals at eastern
corners. West tower of 4 stages. West door has double chamfered pointed arch.
2-light west window with quatrefoil in second stage. 2-light bell chamber
openings with quatrefoils to each face of third stage. Fourth stage limestone
ashlar with twin 2-light bell-chamber openings with quatrefoils and cusped
transoms to each face. Quatrefoil freize above with castellated parapet and
short pinnacles at corners. Interior: chancel, 2 bay south arcade of late C13
double chamfered pointed arches with octagonal piers. Similar one bay north
arcade. C13 double chamfered chancel arch. Nave originally C12, aisles, has late
C12 four bay arcade of one step round arches with square piers having 4 demi
shafts. The piers to the left have C13 octagonal casing at bases. C13 four bay
south arcade of double chamfered pointed arches with octagonal piers. Tall tower
arch has 4 chamfers. C19 king post and tie beam roofs. Stained glass to east and
south west windows. C14 piscina to right of altar. Communion rail C18 with
turned balusters. Font C18, plain baluster with small gadrooned bowl, also C20
stone font. Sculpture attached to south wall is fragment of saxon cross shaft
depicting a beast biting its tail. Monument above is oval marble tablet with
scrolled surround to Edmund Gee died 1799 and wife Elizabeth. North wall
inscribed tablet with heraldic decoration to Saunderson family probably C18;
reset. Fragments of C13 masonry and stone coffin lid below. Spire removed in
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.307).
Listing NGR: SP7835866419
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings