History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wroxham Signal Box

A Grade II Listed Building in Hoveton, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7164 / 52°42'59"N

Longitude: 1.4086 / 1°24'30"E

OS Eastings: 630312

OS Northings: 318644

OS Grid: TG303186

Mapcode National: GBR WGR.NY3

Mapcode Global: WHMT3.LZYF

Entry Name: Wroxham Signal Box

Listing Date: 25 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477005

Location: Hoveton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hoveton

Built-Up Area: Hoveton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hoveton St John

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Wroxham

Listing Text

TG 31 NW HOVETON
Wroxham Signal Box
1237/7/10009
II


Railway signal box. Built in 1900 for the Great Eastern Railway probably by McKenzie and Holland. Timber framed on a brick base with some weatherboarding and a Welsh slate roof. The lower storey has vertical joists with herringbone struts covered with horizontal weatherboarding. Two fixed windows 5 x 2 panes in the centre front with a door at the south end. The upper storey has seven windows 3 x 3 panes in front with two sliding sashes; two windows at each end, one sliding, with the door on the south end. Horizontal weatherboarding to the rear. Gable ends with louvres in weatherboarding. Low pitched gabled roof covered with Bangor Countess slates. Steel staircase and wooden gallery to upper storey with enclosed toilet cubicle, balcony with handrails to front and north end for window access.
Interior has a 50 lever McKenzie and Holland frame dated 1900 with booking desk, lockers and tablet.
History: Wroxham station was opened by the Great Eastern Railway in 1874 on the line between Norwich and Cromer, and the branch towards Aylsham was opened in 1879. This signal box, which controlled the junction, replaced an earlier one which stood on the station platform. It is the standard GER Type 7 design which was current from c,1885-1920's.
References: Information from P.J.A.Bower; Michael A.Vanns, Signalboxes, Ian Allan, 1995, p 24; The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box, OPC, 1986.


Listing NGR: TG3031218644

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.