This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5682 / 51°34'5"N
Longitude: -0.3415 / 0°20'29"W
OS Eastings: 515042
OS Northings: 186781
OS Grid: TQ150867
Mapcode National: GBR 63.W0K
Mapcode Global: VHGQH.1V96
Plus Code: 9C3XHM95+79
Entry Name: Harrow Hospital
Listing Date: 8 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356866
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473102
Location: Harrow on the Hill, Harrow, London, HA2
Electoral Ward/Division: Harrow on the Hill
Built-Up Area: Harrow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Roxeth
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 1586 NW ROXETH HILL
1157/17/10022 Harrow Hospital
Cottage Hospital. 1906 by Arnold Mitchell, extended to west 1915 for war use, extended to south west 1925 both these extensions possibly by the same architect. The further extensions to east and south of mid-late C20 are not of special interest. Red brick laid in English bond, banded with artificial stone; machine tile roofs. Arts and Crafts style. 2 parallel ranges.
EXTERIOR: symmetrical north elevation. One storey and dormer attic; 6-window range. Central entrance consisting of double-leaf half-glazed doors set within eared artificial stone surround with keyblocks. In the frieze the inscription "Harrow Hospital". Pair of outer pilasters frame 5 x 2 paned fixed windows. Swan-necked pediment rising to embrace centre-hung cast-iron window with multiple glazing bars. Open modillion pediment above contains cartouche plaque: dated 1906, with swags. All ground-floor windows framed by banded brick and stone: 2 outer 6/9 horned sashes either side (outer sash to east replaced with a Crittall window under a soldier arch) separated by a bow window set within shallow recess, and all linked by modillion cornice. Over the bow windows rise tall gables each fitted with a 3-light timber casement. Horizontal brick and stone banding above. Main roof with 3 gabled dormers fitted with 6/6 horned sashes. 3 ridge stacks, symmetrically placed.
2-storey hipped pavilion set back to west, added 1916: one 2/4 horned sash to basement and 2 4/4 horned sashes above, all under gauged skewback arches.
Two-storey hipped pavilion set further back to west of last, added 1925: 3 fixed lights with louvred opening upper parts, and a pane[ door to right.
Rear, south, elevation with 5 gables to attic fitted with various replacement casements of mid to late C20. Ground floor obscured by mid to late C20 extensions.
INTERIOR: front block has long east-west corridor with double swing doors at intervals. Central large niche, dogleg staircase with oak handrail and square corner posts, central -stained glass window with swags and portrait of Jesus, round-headed arch and bronze plaque commemorating VAD during the Great War.
Listing NGR: TQ1504286781
Other nearby listed buildings