This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.611 / 54°36'39"N
Longitude: -2.6117 / 2°36'42"W
OS Eastings: 360587
OS Northings: 524148
OS Grid: NY605241
Mapcode National: GBR BH63.CW
Mapcode Global: WH92Q.VCHJ
Entry Name: Crossrigg Hall
Listing Date: 12 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422659
Location: Bolton, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Bolton
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Bolton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 62 SW BOLTON
5/154 Crossrigg Hall
Large house designed c1864 by Anthony Salvin; additions and alterations by J.H.
Martindale c1915 match the original style. Squared, snecked hammer-dressed
rubble with string course and quoins on chamfered plinth. Original masonry of
local pink sandstone, additions in yellower stone. Graduated slate roofs with
dormers; gables have stone copings with ball finials to apex and kneelers.
Corniced ashlar chimneys, some projecting; moulded cast-iron gutters.
Asymmetrical plan, mostly 2 stories. Wing was added to north side with the
embattled tower, dated 1915, built to conceal water-tank. Large mullioned and
transomed stair window has segment-headed lights. Original carriage porch was
re-used in 1916 with side arches widened. Canted bay window was added to west
elevation, and full-height bay window on left of south elevation, c1915.
Majority of windows are 2- or 3- light with moulded mullions and, in some cases,
transoms. Some of the larger ground-floor windows have a wider central light
which has a semicircular head springing from the same level as the transoms to
the flanking lights. In 1915, the domestic wing adjoining the east end was
enlarged; the original single storey buildings flanking the entrance to the
small yard to its rear were for storage. Salvin's interior has been preserved
and the original detailing has been matched where extensions made it necessary.
The main 'Jacobean' stair was carved in 1915, but Salvin's original stair was
re-used in the tower.
Listing NGR: NY6058724148
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings