This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4816 / 51°28'53"N
Longitude: -0.0017 / 0°0'5"W
OS Eastings: 538859
OS Northings: 177738
OS Grid: TQ388777
Mapcode National: GBR L1.B8Q
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.X1H2
Entry Name: St Alfege's Vicarage
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Last Amended: 8 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200480
Location: Greenwich, London, SE10
Electoral Ward/Division: Peninsula
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Greenwich St Alfege
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
4412 PARK VISTA SELO
St Alfege's Vicarage
TQ 3877 26/G101 19.10.51.
Rambling building of various dates which reads from street front as follows
a. On right a building of circa 1800. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Stucco, with entablature
and blocking course concealing roof. Rusticated quoins and rusticated, 1-storey
projecting end walls with ball finials on plinths. On 1st floor recessed 3-light
sash windows with glazing bars, all but centre one replaced. Round arched openings
in arcaded ground floor with spring string and moulded architraves. Side windows
blocked except for heads. Central door with modern fanlight and side lights.
Set back garage entrance with cast iron railings at right.
b. To left of this,a jumble of roofs, mostly low pitched and slated, and wall
surface in several planes. The main stuccoed front wall becomes at left, a curtain
wall to a small courtyard beyind which is visible the C16 brickwork of the original
house. Completely irregular windows of various types, including modern plate
glass. Slightly projecting 1st floor suggests early jettied front in right part.
An interesting feature is a large moulded wreath, probably of terra cotta but
now painted over, on 1st floor. The arms of Henry VIII, which used to be on
front wall, have been removed for safe keeping.
c. A completely new front section is being built at left.
On Park front 4 sections appear
a. A red brick canted bay at left, with parapet. Partly rebuilt but showing
a fragment of curved gable end, with a round, gauged brick eye, to right of parapet.
b. A 2-storey, 3 window plain stucco facade with parapet, probably late C18.
c. A 5-window section of circa 1800, red brick with gauged arches to sash windows
with glazing bars.
d. A 2-storey, 2-window low-built section of very old brick, much restored.
e. New wing at right.
The old parts of this building formed part of Henry VIII's palace of Placentia.
Listing NGR: TQ3884577738
Other nearby listed buildings