History in Structure

Beckenham Place Mansion

A Grade II* Listed Building in Copers Cope, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4186 / 51°25'7"N

Longitude: -0.0188 / 0°1'7"W

OS Eastings: 537859

OS Northings: 170706

OS Grid: TQ378707

Mapcode National: GBR KB.CYK

Mapcode Global: VHGRF.MLFV

Plus Code: 9C3XCX9J+CF

Entry Name: Beckenham Place Mansion

Listing Date: 28 May 1954

Last Amended: 29 June 1973

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359317

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358443

ID on this website: 101359317

Location: Lewisham, London, BR3

County: London

District: Lewisham

Electoral Ward/Division: Copers Cope

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bromley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Beckenham St George

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Tagged with: Mansion

Find accommodation in


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/06/2012

TQ 37 SE 1/7

Beckenham Place Mansion

(Formerly listed as Beckenham Place Park Golf Club House)

(Formerly listed as Beckenham Place, partly listed in Borough of Lewisham dated 30.8.54.)


This mansion was built about 1773 for John Cator (1728-1806). It is rather
similar to Damson Park, Welling, Bexley, designed by Sir Robert Taylor in
1765 and may be by him. It is built of ashlar and has 3 storeys. The main
front faces south-east. 7 windows. The ground floor has long and short
quoins and a stringcourse above it. Cornice above the second floor and
blocking course. Hipped slate roof. In the centre is a curved bay of 3
windows on all floors. A modern balcony has been added to its 1st floor
with an outside staircase leading up to it, as the principal rooms are on
the 1st floor on this side of the house. The sides of the building have
4 windows each. On the north-west side is a central projection of which
the sides are rusticated on the ground floor with, above, a large
tripartite window. The centre light of this is round-headed and flanked
by engaged Ionic columns with a pediment ever. The outer lights are
flanked by Doric pilasters with a cornice over. 2 windows on the 2nd
floor of each side. The north-west front of this projection forms a
portico said to have been added in 1787 and brought from Wricklemarsh
House, Blackheath. This gives entrance to the house at 1st floor level.
4 giant composite columns rising through 2 storeys support a pediment
containing a cartouche of the arms of the Cator family set in foliage
with the motto "Nihil sine labore". The portico contains a central
doorway flanked by engaged Ionic columns with a projecting cornice over
and rectangular fanlight. On each side of the doorway is a niche
containing a statue. The principal feature of the interior is a central
hall with a gallery and a small circular dome. The contemporary stables
to the north-east of the house stand within the Borough of Lewisham in
the County of London, NMR photograph.

Listing NGR: TQ3785970706

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.