This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3368 / 53°20'12"N
Longitude: -0.3915 / 0°23'29"W
OS Eastings: 507202
OS Northings: 383412
OS Grid: TF072834
Mapcode National: GBR TYQV.1L
Mapcode Global: WHGHN.YDR9
Plus Code: 9C5X8JP5+PC
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359511
English Heritage Legacy ID: 197130
Location: Friesthorpe, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN3
Civil Parish: Friesthorpe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Friesthorpe with Snarford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 08 SE FRIESTHORPE CHURCH LANE
4/4 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, 1841 restoration and rebuilding by
Young of Lincoln. Coursed limestone rubble, slate roofs having
stone coped gables. Western tower, nave, chancel. The 3 stage
C15 tower has a plinth, 2 string courses, pyramidal roof and
angle buttresses. The 2 light C15 west window has pointed head
containing perpendicular panel tracery. Above is a rectangular
light and to the C19 belfry stage paired pointed lights on all 4
sides. The north wall of nave has 4 pointed C19 windows with
buttresses between. In the chancel north wall is a recut early
C14 window of 2 cusped lights with trefoil in the head. The east
window is also early C14 recut of 3 cusped lights with 2
trefoils, a quatrefoil, single chamfered surround with hood
mould. The chancel south window matches that to the north but
with human head labels. The south wall of the nave has 3 C19
windows and buttresses, with a recut C19 doorway and 2 original
though repositioned human head labels. Interior. The tower arch
is double chamfered and dies into its reveals without capitals.
In the tower chamber is a tablet recording the rebuilding (sic)
of the church in 1841. The chancel arch is early C13 with keeled
responds and double chamfered' with hood mould and human head
labels. Fittings are all C19 including the font, although there
is the base for a medieval octagonal font in the tower.
There are two First World War memorial tablets fixed to the wall:
one is to two soldiers, and the other is to the five sons of Reverend
and Mrs Amy Beechey who saw eight sons go off to war and only
three return. Their memory is also recorded in a
stained glass window installed in 2016.
Listing NGR: TF0720283412
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 8/1/2018.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings