This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2443 / 53°14'39"N
Longitude: -0.3352 / 0°20'6"W
OS Eastings: 511190
OS Northings: 373208
OS Grid: TF111732
Mapcode National: GBR VZ3X.7Q
Mapcode Global: WHGJ2.TQK7
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 197219
Location: Stainfield, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Stainfield
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Bardney St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
STAINFIELD KINGSTHORPE LANE
TF 17 SW
5/51 Church of
30.11.66 St. Andrew
Parish church. 1711, C19 by James Fowler. Red brick, Flemish
bond, coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings.
Plain tile roof with stone coped gables with ornate C19 south
finial. North bell turret with lead covered ogee cap. North bell
tower, nave and chancel in one, orientated north to south instead
of west to east. Ashlar dressed brick plinth on north, south and
west sides. North front with small bell turret with square plan
breaking through north gable with broad kneelers. Round headed
narrow light set high up on north side and 2 slit lights on both
west and east sides set one above the other. Clock above on west
side. Moulded ashlar string course above with bell openings on
all 4 sides, each a single opening with chamfered ashlar surround
and round head. Projecting ashlar moulded eaves above and ogee
cap. North walls flanking tower with ashlar long and short
quoins. Single round openings flank tower, blocked with later
brickwork. Broad ashlar string course to west of tower only.
East side of coursed limestone rubble with no features. South
front with tall chimney on east corner and ashlar pilaster with
moulded abacus on west corner. C19 rectangular west window of 3
cusped ogee headed lights and hood mould. Broad ashlar string
course above. Ashlar sundial above. 3 bay west front with
slightly projecting central bay with ornate ashlar doorway with
scrolled broken pediment supported on ornate scrolled brackets.
Moulded doorcase with shouldered architrave and panelled doors.
Ashlar plaque above with cartouche inscribed 1711. Doorway
flanked by single round headed windows with moulded ashlar
architraves and raised keystones. Ashlar pilastered north-west
and south-west corners. Ashlar dressed parapet with central small
plinth supporting ornate C19 finial. Interior C19 porch. Early
C18 pews with carved bench ends with shell shaped finials.
Doorway in north end with panelled door. Above, a large
Commandment board with flanking ionic pilasters festooned with
fruit and leaves, segmental head with 2 round headed needlework
panels. C18 polygonal, panelled pulpit. C19 altar rail. C20
chair, lecturn and font. Helmet, gauntlets and sword said to
have belonged to the Wild Man of Stainfield who was murdered by
the Hardy Gang.
Listing NGR: TF1119073208
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings