History in Structure

Warehouse Immediately at Rear of Corn Exchange

A Grade II Listed Building in Worcester, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1933 / 52°11'35"N

Longitude: -2.2222 / 2°13'19"W

OS Eastings: 384906

OS Northings: 255025

OS Grid: SO849550

Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.H0F

Mapcode Global: VH92T.F4KH

Plus Code: 9C4V5QVH+84

Entry Name: Warehouse Immediately at Rear of Corn Exchange

Listing Date: 4 June 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359549

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488489

ID on this website: 101359549

Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Worcester

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Worcester St Nicholas and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Tagged with: Warehouse

Find accommodation in



620-1/12/24 (South side)
04/06/75 Warehouse immediately at
rear of Corn Exchange


Remains of C15 hall adapted and partly rebuilt in C17/18,
incorporated into inn (The Ewe and Lamb) by 1766 and probably
used as warehousing from 1848.
PLAN: The original building has stone walls and was at level
of present cellar floor, the west wall has two four-centred
and blocked openings, one square-headed opening also blocked,
and inserted fireplace. In C17 or C18 a brick vaulted cellar
inserted and floors and attic added. Stone walls largely
rebuilt in brick, the south wall demolished and extended in
C17/18. Exterior: East front largely red brick, steeply
pitched tiled roof with gable ends. Two storeys with attic and
cellar. Two C18 gabled dormers. Ground floor has various
segmental arch-headed openings one with original moulded stone
jamb. First floor has two casements with segmental brick
arches and three-light window between the left first-floor
door with loft door above through eaves with flat roof and
INTERIOR: Heavy cross beams of C18, with tenoned joists. See
PLAN for C15 features.
HISTORICAL NOTE: it seems probable that the building formed
part of the Ewe and Lamb public house; by 1779 the tenancy had
passed to James Clarke, musician, who changed the name to the
Horn and Trumpet, a name which has been retained, but attached
to another building opposite (qv). The Corn Exchange (qv) was
built on the site of the frontage of the public house in 1848,
by which time this hall had become warehousing. (Transactions
of the Worcestershire Archaeological Society: Molyneux N: A
Late Medieval Stone Building in Angel Street: Worcester:
1980-: 262-8).

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.