This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2226 / 53°13'21"N
Longitude: 0.3238 / 0°19'25"E
OS Eastings: 555238
OS Northings: 372026
OS Grid: TF552720
Mapcode National: GBR MXT.YH9
Mapcode Global: WHJLV.Y8CB
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196016
Location: Chapel St. Leonards, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE24
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Chapel St. Leonards
Built-Up Area: Skegness
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Chapel St Leonards St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 57 SE CHAPEL ST. LEONARDS CHURCH LANE
3/15 Church of St.
Parish church. Rebuilt 1794, chancel built 1866, tower of 1891-
1901 by W. Scorer, enlarged 1924. Ashlar, some red and yellow
brick, slate and plain tiled roofs. Western tower, nave,
chancel, south porch: 2 stage tower with embattled parapet and
pyramidal roof. To the sides are louvred bell openings. In the
west wall a 2 light window with cusped tracery and above a
similar belfry opening. In the north wall a further 2 light
window with beyond 2 semi-circular 1794 windows with key and
impost blocks. Nave has brick dentillated eaves course. Gabled
yellow brick vestry of 1891 with 2 light traceried window and
plain chamfered doorway to the east. The ashlar chancel has a
single lancet to the north, 2 to the south and in the east wall a
5 light panel traceried window. In the south wall of the nave
are 2 two light Cl9 flowing traceried windows. The gabled south
porch has a chamfered outer doorway with moulded hood and
matching inner door. Beyond is a further Cl9 2 light window.
Interior. Single chamfered tower arch and semi-circular chancel
arch. In the chancel a semi-circular opening to the vestry. The
nave roof is a king post with struts, possibly re-used. Cl9
circular ashlar font and panelled pulpit. The church was rebuilt
after flooding in 1572 and again in 1794 by Churchwarden Robert
Empingham on former foundations.
Listing NGR: TF5523872025
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings