This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1642 / 53°9'50"N
Longitude: 0.1195 / 0°7'10"E
OS Eastings: 541794
OS Northings: 365101
OS Grid: TF417651
Mapcode National: GBR KVP.M1D
Mapcode Global: WHJLY.TQ3N
Plus Code: 9F525479+MR
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359727
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196137
Location: Halton Holegate, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23
Civil Parish: Halton Holegate
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Halton Holgate St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
Tagged with: Church building
HALTON HOLEGATE HOLE GATE
TF 46 NW
3/14 Church of
Parish church. C14, C15, porch rebuilt 1831, aisles rebuilt
1846, tower and east end rebuilt in 1866 by J. Fowler under
supervision by G. E. Street, chancel restored 1894. Limestone
ashlar, squared greenstone rubble, ashlar dressings, lead roofs.
Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch.
3 stage early C15 tower, largely rebuilt in C19, with stepped
corner buttresses, moulded plinth and string courses, embattled
parapet with corner pinnacles. To belfry stage a 3 light C15
louvred opening with deeply moulded reveals, brattished transom
and cusped heads to trefoil lights. On the second stages on all
but east side a niche with crocketed canopy and pinnacles. To
the west side a small C19 doorway beneath the C15 4 light window
with wave moulded reveals, brattished transom and panel tracery.
C15 north aisle with plinth, parapet with fleurons and small
heads in the cornice. Stepped buttresses. To the west side a 3
light window with cusped heads to the lights. In the south side
3 similar smaller windows with slightly 4 centred arched heads.
North doorway with flat head and quatrefoils in the spandrels,
dated on the hood mould 1846. Clerestory in limestone ashlar
with 8 C15 3 light windows with cusped heads. In the east end of
the aisle a C15 4 light window with fine moulded mullions and
ogee heads to the lights. Chancel north wall has 3 pointed
windows of 3 lights with C19 tracery. Beneath the central light
a small C15 doorway with square surround and leaves in the
spandrels. 4 light C14 east window with curvilinear tracery.
South chapel has C19 east lancet and 2 three light C19 south
windows. The south clerestory matches that to the north. In the
south aisle are 4 two light C19 windows. Fine south porch,
gabled, with angle buttresses, double quatrefoil frieze, corner
pinnacles and central cross fleury. Moulded pointed outer arch
with rectangular label hood and quatrefoils to the spandrels.
Above a blank niche with small vault. Beneath the gable a shield
bearing initials and a barrel. Simply chamfered pointed C14 arch
to inner doorway. Interior. 4 bay early C15 nave arcades with
octagonal piers and capitals, bell moulded bases, moulded pointed
arches. Double chamfered arches, and large chamfered reveals.
C15 chancel arch matches arcades. At the east end of the south
aisle a small doorway and 3 light window into the vestry/south
chapel. In the chancel a 2 bay arcade to the south chapel
matching nave arcades. At the easternmost end a small pointed
moulded doorway leads by a passage, containing C19 piscina with
trefoil head to the vestry. Nave roof was replaced in 1846,
reusing some earlier work. Brattished arch braced tie beams with
bosses and tracery to the spandrels. Chancel has painted ceiling
of 1894. Fittings. Poppy head bench ends presented in 1846.
Stained glass in east window by Burlisson and Gryll 1898. C14
font base with recut plain bowl. Monuments. In the south aisle
a cross legged effigy of a knight with chain mail surcoat,
possibly Sir Harry de Halton, c.1338. Fine shield bearing lion
rampant. Beside the effigy a mid C13 black Purbeck marble slab
with marginal inscription to Walter de Bec d.c.1250. On the
south wall a small brass to Bridget Rugeley d.1658.
Listing NGR: TF4179465100
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings