This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0292 / 53°1'44"N
Longitude: -0.6971 / 0°41'49"W
OS Eastings: 487476
OS Northings: 348779
OS Grid: SK874487
Mapcode National: GBR CMC.4L2
Mapcode Global: WHGK2.8493
Entry Name: Church of St. Martin
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360092
English Heritage Legacy ID: 193971
Location: Stubton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG23
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Stubton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Stubton St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 84 NE STUBTON BRANDON ROAD (south side)
3/82 Church of St. Martin
Parish church. 1799, 1869. Gothic revival. Ashlar, blue lias, slate roofs.
Western rectangular vestry, west tower to east of vestry, nave and rectangular
chancel. Ashlar vestry of 1799 with moulded plinth and pointed west window with
delicate tracery and hood mould. Pinnacle on each corner with crockets and
finials. Openwork quatrefoil balustrade running round west, north and south
sides. Ashlar west tower of 1799 with moulded plinth, 2 stages with flat stone
string course. West side has small window above string course. South side
has pointed doorway with hood mould. Bell chamber openings on all 4 sides,
each of 2 cusped lights surmounted by a trefoil and hood mould. Pronounced
moulded eaves with gargoyles, Openwork balustrade and pinnacles with crockets
find finials. Nave and chancel with plinth. Nave of 1799. North side has
2 windows each of 3 lights with tracery of 1869. Blue lias chancel of 1869.
East end has corner buttresses of 2 stages and a large window of 3 lights
under pointed hood mould with floral label stops. South side of chancel has
small buttress reaching to string course running below rectangular window of
2 lights with tracery. South side of nave has 3 irregularly placed windows,
the 2 to the west of 3 lights, that to the east of 2 lights, all with tracery
of 1869. Interior pointed, moulded doorway leads from tower into nave,
supported on 2 shafts with hood mould and foliage and flowers as label stops.
Gallery at west end of nave. Wainscotting up to window sills. Pointed
chancel arch with heads as label stops. Chancel has wagon roof and a piscina
in the north wall. C19 pews. C19 octagonal font. C19 pulpit.
Listing NGR: SK8747648779
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings