Latitude: 52.7864 / 52°47'11"N
Longitude: -0.6253 / 0°37'31"W
OS Eastings: 492805
OS Northings: 321870
OS Grid: SK928218
Mapcode National: GBR DRP.BQJ
Mapcode Global: WHGL8.C7G5
Plus Code: 9C4XQ9PF+HV
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 193356
ID on this website: 101360327
Location: St Mary's Church, North Witham, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: North Witham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: North Witham
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
Tagged with: Church building
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27 January 2022 to update text and reformat to current standards
SK 92 SW
CHURCH LANE (east side)
Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Late C11, C13, C14, C15, restored 1887. Ashlar, coursed limestone rubble. Western tower, nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry. The two stage C14 ashlar tower has bell moulded plinth, double chamfered string course, battlemented parapet with corner grotesque clasping buttresses, recessed octagonal spire with two sets of alternating lucarnes with finial gables and steeply pointed cinquefoil openings. The spire has an ornate finial replaced in C20. To the belfry stage are paired louvred openings with cinquefoil heads and mouchette over, having chamfered surround and hood mould. On the south side a sundial of 1766.
The west window is of two lights with C19 tracery and C14 hood. The coursed limestone rubble north aisle has C19 three light window, late C12 doorway with semi-circular chevron moulded head, plain outer order on angle shafts with debased waterleaf imposts and hood mould. To the east a C15 window with trefoil heads to the lights and triangular head. C19 vestry cusped, single and paired lights and Tudor arched north doorway. The chancel east window has C19 tracery in three lights with C15 moulded surround. South wall has two C15 two light windows with ogee heads to the lights, panel tracery, four centred heads and hoods. South wall of nave has single three light and two light windows, flat heads, ogee heads to lights and hood moulds, and beyond the porch a three light C15 window with cusped heads to lights, panel tracery, triangular head and C18 wall plaque.
C14 gabled porch with pointed outer doorway, concave moulded arch and reveals. Moulded imposts with small grinning human heads. Hood mould with human head stops. Porch has side benches. In porch an Anglo Saxon cross shaft with interlace and a C12 muzzled bear's head built into wall. The south door is late C11, tall, semi-circular headed, of two plain orders and hood with shallow cable moulded imposts. Over the door a bearded human head.
Interior. Tall pointed double chamfered tower arch with semi-circular responds and octagonal abaci. In the tower a pointed doorway to the stair and an eight ribbed vault with circular bell rope hole. Either side of the tower arch are quoined full height reveals. The north and south doorways have tall semi-circular headed rear arches. In the nave walls earlier blocked openings can be seen and a small section of herringbone masonry. In the north wall an archway to the organ loft is steeply pointed and triple chamfered and has recut wave moulded reveals and C19 imposts. The hood mould has finely carved C14 heads, it possibly lead to an original chantry chapel.
The late C11 chancel arch is a single narrow semi-circular headed square order with billet and fluted moulded imposts. To either side later pointed openings have been cut. In the chancel north wall a double chamfered C15 four centred arch leads to the vestry. Above, to one side, a small pointed opening with chamfered rear arch. Further west an arched tomb recess, aumbry at low level and a pointed opening at low level. On the south side a further low level aumbry. Nave roofs and chancel have moulded ties with ogee stops and moulded principals from 1710. Stained glass in south nave window by Kempe, 1903. Fittings. Delicate early C18 turned altar rails and moulded top. C19 other fittings including carved wood beam and crucifixion. C13 tub font with trefoil headed blank arcade, alternating trefoils and quatrefoils in the tympanum, an octagonal base.
In the sanctuary the altar is raised on three steps in the centre. Behind is an oak cabinet made from a C15 square pew containing the arms of the family of de le Launde of North Witham. Re-used and made into a chest in 1840.
Monuments. In the chancel floor a brass inscription and base of brass figure to William Miskerton, d,1425, and a plaque to Thomas Jackson, d.1697. In chancel north wall an alabaster slab with cross fleury and black letter inscription, c.1430, in tomb recess. Above the recess a grey and white marble wall plaque to Maria Johnson, oval grey plaque on white marble drapery with skull, on scrolled back with shield surmounted by cherubs and urns. Architectural tablet to Sir John Sherard, d.1724, by Edward Stanton and Horsnail. Central inscription with baldacchino of drapery, composite flanking columns, segmental pediment supporting achievement of arms and urns. Richard Sherard of Lobthorpe d.1668. Large tablet with white marble bust of deceased with bible and prayerbook, hand on a skull, in semi-circular surround with highly decorative scrolled brackets. Above the full entablature is an achievement of arms in an ornate segmental pediment. Beneath a slate inscription in moulded surround with flanking fragments of a pediment, scrolled brackets and memento mori.
In the south chancel wall an inscribed brass plate in moulded stone surround to Roland Sherard, d,1592. Above a wall monument to Elizabeth Sherard, d.1658, by Marshall of London. Oval tablet in decorative surround with achievement of arms and scrolled pediment. Above the window a smaller early C18 plaque with segmental pediment. In an arched recess a large standing white marble monument to Sir Brownlow Sherard of Lobthorpe d.1736 by F. Sharpe of Stamford. Monumental sarcophagus on chest with obelisk to rear, scrolled legs with claw feet. Achievement of arms, helms and gauntlets on the top. In the tower a white marble wall monument to Sir Richard Sherard, d.1730, by Stanton and Horsnail. Composite columns support broken segmental pediment with cherubs and urn, gesturing cherubs, putto heads to base.
Listing NGR: SK9280921867
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings