This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1105 / 53°6'37"N
Longitude: -0.6449 / 0°38'41"W
OS Eastings: 490809
OS Northings: 357896
OS Grid: SK908578
Mapcode National: GBR DML.ZR5
Mapcode Global: WHGJQ.226Q
Plus Code: 9C5X4964+63
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 23 August 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 192415
Location: Carlton-le-Moorland, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN5
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Carlton-le-Moorland
Built-Up Area: Carlton-le-Moorland
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: The Withamside United Parish
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
CARLTON-LE-MOORLAND CHURCH STREET
SK 95 NW
4/63 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C11, C13, C15, late C16 restored 1890-1 by C Hodgson Fowler.
West tower, nave, chancel and north chapel now vestry. Nave rebuilt and tower
remodelled late C16. Coursed rubble and ashlar dressings with lead and plain
tile roofs. Tower, 3 stages with moulded plinth and first floor band. Angle
buttresses with set-offs topped with battlements and 4 crocketed pinnacles.
To west a 4-centred arched, moulded doorway with fine studded and panelled door,
above a hood mould and a relieving arch with shale voussoirs. Above a 2-light
chamfered, mullion window with drip mould and a similar window to the south.
Above 4 similar bell openings. Nave, north wall has 2 large 3-light C16 chamfered
cross windows with drip moulds, and a single buttress with set-offs between.
Above battlements with a small ogee arched, gabled bellcote. North chapel,
west wall has blocked north aisle arch, with 4 centred arched doorway under
hood mould and 2-light chamfered mullion window above. North and east walls
have single 3-light flat headed panel tracery windows under hood moulds. Chancel,
north wall has a single similar 2-light window. East wall has coped gable
with kneelers and cross finial, with a large pointed arched, 3-light panel tracery
window. South wall, has small doorway and 2, 2-light panel tracery windows
with flat heads and hood moulds. The nave south wall is identical to the north.
Interior has C16 staircase in tower leading to first floor chamber, once the
entrance to the now vanished C16 gallery, reached through a C11 round headed
doorway with C16 doors. Tower also houses Charity Boards of 1707. Very tall
C13 chancel arch, with to north fragmentary remains of original arcade and chapel
arch. Chapel also has C13 keeled arch to chancel. C12 circular font with octagonal
corner shafts. Nave has largely C16 roof, chancel has C19 roof. C15 screen,
much restored. C18 wooden pulpit and altar rail. C19 pews. Monuments, 1611
brass wall plate W Robert Peterson. 5 small brass wall plates to Eastland and
Tonge families dated individually, 1712, 1725, 1739, 1764 and 1765.
Listing NGR: SK9081057898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings