History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Denys

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirkby la Thorpe, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.0009 / 53°0'3"N

Longitude: -0.3637 / 0°21'49"W

OS Eastings: 509907

OS Northings: 346092

OS Grid: TF099460

Mapcode National: GBR GRZ.YP4

Mapcode Global: WHGK7.DT1T

Plus Code: 9C5X2J2P+9G

Entry Name: Church of St Denys

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192623

Location: Kirkby La Thorpe, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Kirkby la Thorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Laythorpe St Denys

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TF 04 NE
(west side)
Church of
St. Denys

Parish church. C12, C13, c14, C15, chancel rebuilt 1854-55,
restored 1911-12. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar and some
ashlar dressings, lead and plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave,
chancel, north aisle, south porch. 2 stage C14 west tower with
moulded plinth, hollow moulded string course and embattled
parapet with crocketted angle pinnacles. In the belfry stage are
louvred 2 light windows with pointed heads and 4 centred arched
surrounds with hood moulds. To the south is a 2 light C16 window
with 4 centred arched heads to the lights, sunk spandrels, low
triangular headed chamfered surround. To the west a tall 3 light
C14 window, cusped ogee heads to the lights and trefoils,
chamfered triangular surround. Beneath the string course are 2
fragments of ClO 2 strand interlace carving, perhaps from the
arms of a cross. Low C14 north aisle of ashlar has lead roof and
raised stone coped gables. A blocked pointed doorway is flanked
by single 2 light C14 cusped ogee headed windows in chamfered
square surrounds. To the east, a matching C14 window with
quatrefoil over and pointed head. Restored C13 chancel with to
the north a single recut lancet and a blocked segmental headed
opening. Rebuilt east wall contains a tall 3 light window with
cusped heads to the lights and geometric tracery containing
trilobes. On the south side a blocked doorway with pointed head
and 2 chamfered lancets. The south wail of the nave contains a
tall 3 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and
a chamfered surround. A lancet window is partially obscured by
the rebuilt gabled south porch. There is a further lancet
beyond. The outer doorway of the porch has a C19 timber framed
pointed head and a cusped fretted bargeboard. Side benches. The
arch braced ties, fleuron decorated wall plates and moulded
principals of the porch roof are C14. The inner doorway is C12,
much recut with nook shafts having cushion capitals, roll moulded
flat head and plain tympanum and voussoirs. Interior: 4 bay
late C12 north nave arcade has round piers, moulded annular
capitals and double chamfered arches with hollow moulded hoods,
octagonal responds to the east and west. The tower arch is C13,
octagonal responds, moulded imposts and double chamfered head.
In the north aisle are steps to the rood loft. The chancel north
wall contains the rear arch of the blocked doorway visible
externally, it is C19 in its present form, single chamfered with
beast head stops. In the south wall is a piscina with plain
pointed C13 head. Fittings: some fragments of Medieval glass
including an armorial shield in the east window of the north
aisle. An oak prayer desk made from C14 bench ends decorated
with blank cusped panels and fleur de lys terminals. C14 tower
screen, probably from the chancel, of 3 panels, ogee headed with
tall lancets above the moulded rail and styles. There are 2
fonts. One is C14, octagonal, with cusped square panels
containing blank shields, C18 panelled wooden cover. The second
font is C16, also octagonal, with blank traceried panels and sunk
spandrels, plain shields and quatrefoils to the stem. In the
north aisle a long iron bound wooden chest with 3 lock plates.
Monuments: on the south nave wall a conservative pedimented
ashlar wall plaque to William Willerton, d.1845 by Copeland. In
the reveal of the chancel south window, a small rectangular brass
plate records the charitable donations of the Rev. Thomas
Meriton, d.1685.

Listing NGR: TF0990746092

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.