This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5228 / 51°31'22"N
Longitude: -0.1049 / 0°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 531575
OS Northings: 182139
OS Grid: TQ315821
Mapcode National: GBR N8.L8
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.4ZFG
Entry Name: 12-14a, Clerkenwell Green
Listing Date: 13 June 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360787
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489548
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell
Church of England Diocese: London
635-1/0/10139 CLERKENWELL GREEN
12-14A Clerkenwell Green. Commercial premises, now offices. 1878 by T.E.J. Channing of Holloway. Yellow stock brick with red brick dressings, cast stone and moulded brick decoration, cast iron window mullions and railings, stone coping to gables. Slate roofs. Three and four storeys with basements. Row of four commercial premises, probably workshops. Eclectic High Victorian style, with Gothic and Queen Anne elements.
EXTERIOR: endmost houses, Nos.12 and 14A, project slightly forward, are of four storeys, and culminate in shaped gables; Nos.13 and 14 to centre are of three storeys with mansards. Ground floors with pannelled entrance doors to right of wide, four-light glazed fronts; pilasters with foliate capitals either side of doors, with narrow friezes over. Moulded decorative panels between Nos.13 and 14, the centre of the composition, depicting an urn with sunflowers, and roses at frieze level above. Basements with areas, wide windows carried on pairs of cast iron mullions; original cast iron foliate railings remain in front of Nos.12 and 14A. Tripartite windows to first and second floors, with segmental-arched central lights flanked by narrow side-lights, with mullions of cast stone between on Nos.12 and 14A, ornamental brick piers to others; windows mainly pivoting sashes. Bands of moulded stonework and keystones, all with floral ornament. Third floors of endmost buildings rise up in form of ogee-shaped gables, containing Diocletian windows within arched openings of banded red brick; roundels of moulded terra cotta interrupt profile of gables. Inner pair of buildings with stepped brick eaves, large mansards above (that to No.13 renewed in recent times).
INTERIOR: not inspected; ground floors much altered; upper floors seen to retain original tongue and groove boarding to walls and ceilings.
HISTORY: built by the Holloway builder and developer T.E.J. Channing as commercial units; the first occupant was the Lewis Incandescent Gas Company, in 1885. The row is a highly characteristic survival of High Victorian commercial premises, erected in an area noted for its metal-working tradition. The fronts are richly eclectic in detail and material, reflecting prevalent tendencies in commercial design.
SOURCE: Metropolitan Board of Works, District Surveyor's Returns.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings