This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0732 / 53°4'23"N
Longitude: -2.5506 / 2°33'2"W
OS Eastings: 363208
OS Northings: 353023
OS Grid: SJ632530
Mapcode National: GBR 7R.BJYR
Mapcode Global: WH9B9.S0MV
Entry Name: The Old Farmhouse, Village Farm
Listing Date: 5 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1360820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489581
Location: Acton, Cheshire East, CW5
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Acton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Acton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
1651/0/10001 The Old Farmhouse, Village Farm
House and attached service building, formerly 2 dwellings, and empty at the time of inspection (June 2002 ). Mid -C18, incorporating earlier fabric, enlarged and remodelled early C19, further altered C20. Red brick with cut brick decoration , ridge and gable brick stacks and a plain tile roof covering.
PLAN: L-shaped range forming northern boundary of farmyard, with 3-storey part to west, aligned east-west and with 2 storey bay to east end forming link with 3-bay 2 storey part to west, aligned north-south.
EXTERIOR: West range of 3 1/2 bays, the east bay a 2-storey link with single storey lean-to , now partly demolished, extending across the east bay of the taller range. This has 2 windows to each storey, the lower openings with segmental arched brick heads, the upper floor openings with flat heads and 3-light casement frames, one with leaded cames, the other with glazing bars. Other openings retain fragments of similar joinery. Complex decorative brick eaves cornice. Arch-headed doorway to west end bay with plank door, plain central doorway and east end doorway giving access to both 2 and 3 storey parts. Rear wall with openings to ground and first floors, mostly blocked, and with rear doorway to west bay. 2 storey bay to east with ground floor enclosed within C19 lean-to with single 2-light casement with glazing bars above. East range of 3 bays, with east- facing front with doorway to centre bay with 4-panel door, and stacked 3-light casements with glazing bars to each bay, those to the ground floor below arched heads. The upper floor openings with flat heads below a dentilled brick eaves.
INTERIOR: 3 storey part with contemporary roof structure comprised of 3 pegged oak king post trusses with primary and secondary struts supporting 2 tiers of trenched purlins. Trusses 1 and 3 are infilled and plastered, and have seatings for nailed studs which survive with brick infil at the east end. The upper floor has no ceilings and is open to the roof. The first floor has numerous closely-spaced tie beams and inserted plank partitions. The ground floor rooms each have paired ceiling beams aligned east - west, with exposed joists. The half bay to the west has an inserted bead oven with domed oven chamber. At the junction of 3 and 2 storey parts, back-to back hearths, that to the east with cast-iron C19 range. 3 storey part with off-centre back-to back hearths, that to the centre bay with deeply moulded and chamfered hearth beam . Ground floor rooms each with paired ceiling beams, some with complex C16 or C17 chamfer stops. Upper floor part of partition wall to north bay with exposed timber-framing.
HISTORY: The 3-storeyed part is believed to have ceased to be used as a dwelling house c.1820.
An evolved farmstead range made up of 2 interconnected former dwellings, now one complex made up of house and attached service range, the latter a mid- C18 dwelling possibly adapted for multiple occupation by farm workers, the former retaining elements of an earlier timber-framed dwelling. The complex retains interior fabric and fittings which relate to both its chronological and functional evolution.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings