This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8503 / 53°51'1"N
Longitude: -2.2705 / 2°16'13"W
OS Eastings: 382304
OS Northings: 439373
OS Grid: SD823393
Mapcode National: GBR DRLX.7J
Mapcode Global: WHB7Q.3H34
Entry Name: Church of St Mary, Newchurch in Pendle
Listing Date: 29 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186295
Location: Goldshaw Booth, Pendle, Lancashire, BB12
Civil Parish: Goldshaw Booth
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Newchurch-in-Pendle St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 83 NW GOLDSHAW BOOTH
10/140 Church of St Mary,
Newchurch in Pendle
Church, tower 1653 and nave, north aisle and south porch 1740. Hammer dressed,
stone, ashlar to porch, slate roof. Tower of two stages separated by string. Large
squared quoins, two of which are inscribed "ID 1653" and "IH CC BS NR". At ground
level, above moulded plinth, is small 2-light chamfered mullioned window: the belfry
windows, which now have flat-faced mullions, may once have been similar. Embattled,
parapet probably C19. Nave and aisle are coterminous and have raised ashlar quoins.
Plinth frieze band. South front has 4 windows with elliptical heads, keystones
and eared architraves. To left is porch with rusticated facade round-arched doorway
with impost band and keystone, and pediments over. This protects a round-arched
doorway with architrave, plinth blocks and keystone. Between the 3rd and 4th
windows is a plaque, with similar architrave, inscribed: "John Stephenson,
George Hartley Thomas Varley Church Wardens 1740 Richard Broughton John Broughton
Robert Wilkinson Matthew Crook Masons". This stands over a low blocked doorway
with similar detail. East end, which has quoins and moulded kneeler, has Venetian
window with keystone. North front has 2 tiers of windows similar to south front.
Sundial on south west kneelers, dated 1718. Interior: Large north and west
galleries, that to north behind, a 6-bay Doric arcade. Open queen-post roof.
Chandelier of 1756.
Listing NGR: SD8230439373
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings