This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5416 / 53°32'29"N
Longitude: -2.8895 / 2°53'22"W
OS Eastings: 341148
OS Northings: 405366
OS Grid: SD411053
Mapcode National: GBR 8W8H.64
Mapcode Global: WH86P.L77R
Entry Name: Moor Hall
Listing Date: 11 October 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361828
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357779
Location: Aughton, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L39
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Aughton
Built-Up Area: Ormskirk
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Aughton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
AUGHTON PRESCOT ROAD
SD 40 NW
8/20 Moor Hall
House. Circa 1600, altered probably early C19 and restored late C19.
Painted sandstone and brick with remains of timber frame. Slate roof.
Main part of house of stone and of H-plan. 2 storeys with attic. Each
cross-wing has a 5-light late C19 mullioned window with transom on the
ground floor, 2 sashes with no glazing bars on the 1st floor, and a 6-
pane sash to the attic. The recessed centre is of 2 bays. The left-hand
bay contains a 2-storey canted bay window, mullioned on the ground floor
and sashed with no glazing bars above. To the right is a gabled 2-storey
porch which has a C19 Tudor-arched doorway. Above is an inscribed tablet
said to be dated 1566 and with the shield and initials of Peter Stanley.
To the right of the main building is a one-bay link to a lower gabled
kitchen wing. This is of painted brick encasing the remains of a timber
frame and has casement windows. Chimneys to right and left of cross-
wings, to right of kitchen wing and at rear of hall. At the rear are some
original mullioned windows. Interior: at each end of the cross-passage
are re-hung studded doors with moulded ribs and strap hinges. The
entrance hall contains elaborate C17 panelling, with carved grotesque
figures, angels, and foliage, probably brought from elsewhere and
reconstructed in the late C19. The hall, to the left, is lined mostly
with C18 raised and fielded panelling and has an overmantel constructed
partly from woodwork of c1600 above a stone fireplace with Tudor arch.
The exposed ceiling joists are chamfered and stopped. The left-hand
(west) cross-wing has a dado of bolection-moulded panels. A closed-well
stair has similar panels and newels with sunken moulded panels. It is
probably of c1700. On the 1st floor wallposts forming part of the timber
frame of the kitchen wing are visible, at the junction between the gabled
wing and the link, which was also timber-framed. The attic over the main
part of the house has closely-spaced trusses with raking struts and king
posts. Most of the latter have been cut through to form a passage. The
rear gable of the right-hand (east) cross-wing has a closed fishbone
king-post truss, now re-faced with a C19 copy on the outside. Redundant
windbrace mortises suggest that all the gables had exposed decorative
trusses, now replaced by stone and brick.
Listing NGR: SD4114805366
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings