This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6042 / 53°36'14"N
Longitude: -2.7055 / 2°42'19"W
OS Eastings: 353416
OS Northings: 412186
OS Grid: SD534121
Mapcode National: GBR 9VKR.2R
Mapcode Global: WH86D.DNXV
Entry Name: South Tunley Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361888
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357886
Location: Wrightington, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN6
Civil Parish: Wrightington
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Wrightington with Heskin St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
WRIGHTINGTON OLD WASH LANE (north side)
SD 51 SW
5/108 South Tunley Hall Farmhouse
House. C17. Brick with sandstone plinth and quoins and slate roof.
Comprises the west cross-wing and rebuilt hall range of an H-plan house
partly demolished in 1958. 2 storeys with attic. Windows are C20
casements with plastered surrounds. South gable of cross-wing of one bay
with blocked attic window, and blocked stair window with label to right
on 1st floor. To the right is a lead rainwater pipe with cast lions'
heads at the joints and with a hopper inscribed: 'TWE 1667'. This is a
possible date for this wing. The main range is of 2 bays. In the left-
hand bay is a single-storey lean-to porch of sandstone which has a
chamfered doorway with canted head. The lintel is inscribed:'TW MW 1622'.
The inner plank door has strap hinges and a moulded timber surround with
canted head. Chimney on ridge of wing. An illustration of the house
before alterations shows a 2-storey hall range with square-panelled
timber-framing on the 1st floor, a 2-storey porch with plastered upper
storey, and a timber-framed east wing with fishbone king post: all could
be early C17. VCH Vol.3, facing p 180.
Listing NGR: SD5341612186
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings