History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Goodshaw, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7316 / 53°43'53"N

Longitude: -2.2829 / 2°16'58"W

OS Eastings: 381434

OS Northings: 426173

OS Grid: SD814261

Mapcode National: GBR DTH9.K1

Mapcode Global: WH974.XG2M

Plus Code: 9C5VPPJ8+JR

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361982

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185775

Location: Goodshaw, Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Goodshaw

Built-Up Area: Rawtenstall

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Goodshaw St Mary and All Saints with St John Crawshawbooth

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Accrington

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/01/2019

SD 82 NW
2/196

RAWTENSTALL
Goodshaw
GOODSHAW LANE
Church of St. Mary and All Saints

(Formerly listed under GOODSHAW ROAD)

GV
II
Church, 1829, fourth on site since C16; altered internally 1903-1904. Sandstone blocks, low-pitched slate roof. Nave with short extension at west end, in Early English style. Corners have angle buttresses and are surmounted by unusual diagonally-set square bellcote turrets with embattled parapets. Five bays and two storeys; gable to road (east end) has large stepped triple lancet window which is flanked by arched doorways with smaller lancets above them, a moulded sillband to the main window stepped up round the doors to make a sill band to the upper windows; sides have five unusually large lancets with hoodmoulds, containing two-stage windows (presumably lighting ground floor and galleries). Extension at west end has arched side doorway with band over it like those at front, and a stepped triple lancet west window. Interior not inspected, but all fittings and furnishings removed 1903 "nothing remaining save the walls and the roof" (Reference Alfred Peel Crawshawbooth and District, n.d., pp.8-14). Commissioners' church.

Listing NGR: SD8143426173

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.