History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Bretherton, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6777 / 53°40'39"N

Longitude: -2.7951 / 2°47'42"W

OS Eastings: 347574

OS Northings: 420432

OS Grid: SD475204

Mapcode National: GBR 8TXX.NC

Mapcode Global: WH85Z.1T8G

Plus Code: 9C5VM6H3+3X

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362115

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184278

Location: Bretherton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR26

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Bretherton

Built-Up Area: Bretherton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Bretherton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Croston

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/08/2011


SD 42 SE
3/27


BRETHERTON
SOUTH ROAD
Church of St. John the
Baptist


(Formerly listed as Church of St. John the Evangelist)

GV
II

Church, 1840, by Edmund Sharpe; chancel and organ house 1909. Sandstone,
shallow pitched slate roof. Nave incorporating porch, west steeple, in simple
Gothic style; chancel and organ house in Perpendicular style. Slender west
tower with diagonal buttresses, large open 2-centred porch arches on 3 sides,
bands on 3 levels, the topmost stepped over a single belfry louvre on each
side, stepped parapet, crocketed corner pinnacles, slim octagonal spire.
Five-bay buttressed nave has 4 square-headed windows with hoodmoulds, each of
2 cusped lights, and at the west end a gablet over a 2-centred arched doorway
with a lancet above (this feature on north side lacking door). Chancel, under
higher and steeper roof, 2 bays, two 3-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery, and east window of 5 lights with similar tracery. Interior: nave
ceiled except at west end which has gallery on 4 slim iron columns with
foliated openwork brackets; gallery staircase with closed string, stick
balusters, ramped handrail; chancel has wagon roof, and at the junction on the
north side half of an arch which dies into the wall but is continued
externally on the wall of the organ house (possibly an architectural joke).


Listing NGR: SD4757420432

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.