History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Euxton Parish Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Euxton, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.6651 / 53°39'54"N

Longitude: -2.6743 / 2°40'27"W

OS Eastings: 355543

OS Northings: 418944

OS Grid: SD555189

Mapcode National: GBR 9VR1.TX

Mapcode Global: WH866.W4QM

Plus Code: 9C5VM88G+27

Entry Name: Euxton Parish Church

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Last Amended: 21 February 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357641

Location: Euxton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Euxton

Built-Up Area: Euxton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Euxton

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in



5/124 Euxton Parish Church
17.4.1967 (Formerly listed as Euxton Church)

Church, probably C14 and late medieval (restored), with 1837 chancel.
Sandstone rubble, stone slate roof. Small aisleless building, with some
evidence of early rebuilding (see below, "History"). West front has
diagonal buttresses, C19 arched doorway with hoodmould, a datestone over
it lettered 1573 IDP (date may be "1513"); above this a C19 stepped
A° dmi
triple-lancet window with hoodmould following the heads, and on the apex
of the gable a part-corbelled square bellcote of ashlar (possibly early
C18). North side wall has a large buttress in the centre, left of it a
low doorway with 2-centred double chamfered arch, and three 2-light
windows similarly-arched with cusped tracery; masonry of this wall,
incorporating some large dressed blocks, shows evidence of some early
alterations. South wall has a similar buttress and 4 similar windows,
of which the 1st and 3rd appear to be original; arched tear-line in wall
near east end marks position of a former south doorway. Interior: single
vessel (plus small C19 chancel); arch-braced kingpost roof (probably C16)
with 2 tiers of cusped windbraces (westermost truss is modern copy);
south wall has coupled piscina and sedile with moulded round arches and
hoodmoulds; north wall incorporates aumbry. History: formerly known as
Burgh Chapel, and said to have been built (1513) by Sir Wm. Molyneux
(lord of the manor) as chapel-of-ease to Leyland Parish Church; was
retained as Molyneux private property (and little-used Catholic chapel)
from Reformation until transferred to the Established Church in early C18.
(Pevsner: VCH Lancs; A. Hewitson: Our Country Churches and Chapels).

Listing NGR: SD5554318944

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.