This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.71 / 53°42'35"N
Longitude: -2.6621 / 2°39'43"W
OS Eastings: 356394
OS Northings: 423929
OS Grid: SD563239
Mapcode National: GBR 9TVJ.GT
Mapcode Global: WH975.20LP
Plus Code: 9C5VP85Q+X5
Entry Name: Cuerden Hall
Listing Date: 21 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362174
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357614
Location: Cuerden, Chorley, Lancashire, PR5
Civil Parish: Cuerden
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Bamber Bridge St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/06/2020
SD 52 SE
Country mansion, early C17 and 1816-1819 by Lewis Wyatt, the older part altered internally. Brick with stone dressings, roof concealed by high parapets. Irregular plan, the original C18 house incorporated in the central third between stable court to west and Wyatt's addition to east. Two storeys, the east end higher, with very large stair well rising to form a hamper in the centre, the east end lower than the centre.
Original house was simple rectangular double pile plan seven windows in length, two storeys: this now has in both front and rear walls stone bands on two levels, and sashed windows with glazing bars, projecting corner chimneys, a high brick parapet, and in centre of south side a prominent stone porch with six Tuscan columns (two groups of three at corners) and dentilled cornice, above which is a canted bay (some of these alterations may be by Wyatt).
The east range added by Wyatt is rectangular, five bays each side, has tall square-sectioned corner chimneys with narrow inset stone panels on both levels, terminating above the parapet in four clustered flues with stone caps; moulded stone bands on two levels carry round these chimneys, and there are high stepped parapets with stone copings; at right ends of ground floor of east and south sides are large stone canted bay windows with panelled parapets; on north side a projecting single-storey stone pavilion of seven bays extends the whole length of this wall, incorporating in the centre a round-headed front door with a carved stone coat of arms in the parapet above, flanked by a carved stag and a hawk. (This feature not shown on Wyatt's drawings). Otherwise, all windows are sashed with glazing bars and moulded architraves, those at ground floor very tall, rising from ground level, those at first floor with twelve panes each.
To right (west) side of original house is lower "office court", originally of three sides open at the west subsequently extended and enclosed. This is two lower storeys with high parapet; the front (north) side, linked by a small recessed pantry bay (now altered as entrance to offices), is six unequal bays (each breaking back slightly); first bay is high single storey (originally kitchen) with two tall round-headed windows; next two bays have three stone-cased sashed windows on each floor; next three bays (apparently later additions) have in the centre a large round-headed arch to courtyard, flanked by pilasters and surmounted by a decorative stone pediment in the coping with flanking ball finials, and on each side two windows to each floor, all sashed with splayed stone heads.
South range (garden front) breaks forward from original house, has a polygonal corner with round-headed windows (originally designed by Wyatt as an octagonal dairy) and a recessed porch with Tuscan columns in centre; otherwise all windows sashed with stone cases.
Interior: of east range retains original features by Wyatt, principally the fine open well staircase with carved oak balusters and closed string, but also fireplaces, doors, etc. (complete set of drawings by Wyatt in RIBA Drawings Collection).
Listing NGR: SD5639423929
Other nearby listed buildings