History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hark to Bounty

A Grade II Listed Building in Slaidburn, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9669 / 53°58'0"N

Longitude: -2.4417 / 2°26'30"W

OS Eastings: 371120

OS Northings: 452404

OS Grid: SD711524

Mapcode National: GBR CQDK.5Q

Mapcode Global: WH95X.GKJ8

Entry Name: The Hark to Bounty

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Last Amended: 16 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362260

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183153

Location: Slaidburn, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Slaidburn

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Slaidburn St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


17/102 The Hark to Bounty
16.11.1954 (Formerly listed as Hark to Bounty Inn)

Public house, probably early C17th and late C18th. Sandstone rubble with
slate roof. The earliest part, to the right, has 3 chamfered doorways
with Tudor-arched heads. Each has a chamfered window surround to its
right, the left-hand one having its sill lowered. A continuous drip
course terminates beyond the right-hand door. To the left is a 6-pane
sash with plain stone surround. Further left is a flight of external
stone steps, with a stepped mounting block attached. On the 1st floor is
a door with plain stone surround and 5 windows with plain stone surrounds
and 6-pane sashes. The right-hand gable has a blocked doorway (now a
window) with chamfered surround and Tudor-arched head. On the 1st floor
are the remains of a rebated and chamfered surround to a 6-pane sash.
Above is a chamfered attic window. Adjoining to the left (west) is the
C18th portion, of 2 storeys with attic. It is of 2 bays, having plain
stone surrounds to the door and windows. The latter are 6-pane sashes,
the ground-floor surrounds being heightened. The attic windows, now
blocked, have shallow oval surrounds. At the far left are the former
stables, now part of the public house. They have paired door surrounds,
now containing 6-pane sashes, a small window to their left, a 6-pane
sash in plain stone surround to the right and 2 similar windows on the
1st floor. Interior: On the 1st floor at the east end is a large room
open to the roof, having 4 trusses with ties, light collars and queen
struts. At the east end, dividing it from a further room beyond, is a
5th truss of slightly steeper pitch, having a king post from tie to ridge
and 2 braces from tie to principals. Beneath, with the muntins tenoned
into the tie, is a wooden screen of vertical panels with deeply moulded

Listing NGR: SD7112052404

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.