This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9767 / 53°58'36"N
Longitude: -2.8751 / 2°52'30"W
OS Eastings: 342704
OS Northings: 453761
OS Grid: SD427537
Mapcode National: GBR 8QCG.C6
Mapcode Global: WH84K.T93Q
Plus Code: 9C5VX4GF+MX
Entry Name: The Chapter House, Cockersand Abbey
Listing Date: 2 May 1968
Last Amended: 7 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362525
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182270
Location: Thurnham, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Thurnham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
SD 45 SW THURNHAM
11/203 The Chapter House, Cockersand
(Formerly listed as Remains of
Cockersand Abbey under
Chapter house of Cockersand Abbey (Premonstratensian, founded 1180-90), early
C13th, converted into burial chamber for Dalton family probably mid C18th.
Red sandstone rubble with slate roof. Octagonal plan, now squared off on west
side to make it appear externally as a rectangle with a 3-sided projection at
the east. The west wall appears to be much rebuilt and has a doorway, now
partly blocked and with a smaller door, with a round arch moulded in 2 orders
and capitals for angle shafts, now missing. The 3 sides visible from the east
have an embattled parapet, and buttresses with offsets at their angles. Each
side has a blocked window with a sill at the level of the springing of its
moulded pointed arch. The mouldings are made with cement, and rebuilding
below sill level suggests that the openings were once larger. Inside, a
vaulted roof with foliated bosses is carried on a central compound pier with
stiff-leaf capital. The stonework is limewashed and some of the details,
including the carved head stops to the hood moulds, have been restored in
cement. The walls are arcaded, with pointed arches moulded in 2 orders with
angle shafts, the outer ones now missing. Some of the arches are filled by
inscribed slate memorials to the Dalton family of Thurnham Hall (q.v.),
including Robert Dalton (d, 1785). Scheduled Ancient Monument. A plan,
section and elevation, together with Buck's engraving of 1727, are reproduced
in Swarbrick, J. 'The Abbey of St. Mary-of-the-Marsh at cockersand',
Trans. Lancs. & Ches. Ant. Soc., vol. XL, 1922-3.
Listing NGR: SD4270653761
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings