History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

May Family vault approximately 26 metres south west of the tower of the Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Hadlow, Tonbridge, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2231 / 51°13'23"N

Longitude: 0.3388 / 0°20'19"E

OS Eastings: 563412

OS Northings: 149701

OS Grid: TQ634497

Mapcode National: GBR NQ7.8GL

Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.TJG6

Plus Code: 9F3268FQ+6G

Entry Name: May Family vault approximately 26 metres south west of the tower of the Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 19 February 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363148

English Heritage Legacy ID: 179461

Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Hadlow

Built-Up Area: Hadlow

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Hadlow

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Hadlow

Description

TQ 6349
7/25

HADLOW
CHURCH STREET
May Family vault approximately 26 metres south west of the tower of the Church of St Mary

GV
II
Family vault. Dated 1855 of Walter Barton May of Hadlow Castle (q.v.). Brick faced with sandstone ashlar. Gothic family vault. It stands in the north west corner of the churchyard with only the east long side and south end exposed. It has been neglected and has lost some of its detail. Corners have angle buttresses with weathered offsets and rise to finials with panelled sides. Moulded cornice at eaves level and crenellated parapet. On eastern long side parapet rises over a carved coat of arms and on southern end wall rises to a low pitch gable surmounted by a broken finial. Both sides contain a row of arch-headed niches under a continuous hoodmould, three on the side and two on the end. Only the eastern ones are inscribed. The centre one records the death of Walter Barton May in 1855 along with two infant sons. Those either side record the deaths of other members of his family. The vault is surrounded by stone coping which once took iron area railings.

It was Walter Barton May who was responsible for much of the work at Hadlow Castle (q.v.) which stands just the other side of the churchyard wall.

Listing NGR: TQ6341249701

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.