This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2119 / 51°12'42"N
Longitude: 0.2236 / 0°13'24"E
OS Eastings: 555406
OS Northings: 148203
OS Grid: TQ554482
Mapcode National: GBR MNR.WX3
Mapcode Global: VHHPZ.TSJV
Plus Code: 9F32666F+QC
Entry Name: Lucy's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363186
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179585
Location: Hildenborough, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Hildenborough
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hildenborough St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HILDENBOROUGH LOWER STREET (north side)
TQ 54 NE
5/151 Lucy's Farmhouse
Former farmhouse. Probably late C15 origins, mostly rebuilt in the mid/late
C16, some alterations of 1623. Framed construction, partly underbuilt in
brick and ragstone; peg-tile roof; brick stack.
Plan and Development: Complex evolution. The house faces south. The left
(west) end is the jettied service end of a probably late C15 open hall house,
the (right) eastern face of the frame retaining some sooting from the former
open hearth fire in the hall. The higher end of the house has been completely
rebuilt with a separate frame in the circa mid/late C16 and at that date was
heated from a timber-framed stack at the east end. The house probably
extended further to the right (east) at that date. This stack was replaced by
a projecting brick chimney in 1623 (dated above the lintel) with a
contemporary stair adjacent to it. The plan of the existing block is largely
that of 1623. The lower end is divided into 2 rooms with a cross passage
entrance to its east. The C17 hall at the right (east) end has been sub-
divided, probably in the C19 or C20, with a small room to the rear. A
probably post C17 stair rises at the rear of the cross passage, blocking the
former rear door of the passage. There was formerly a narrow rear wing at
right angles to the main block, accessible from the rear door of the passage.
This cannot have been earlier than the mid/late C16 but the date of its
construction and demolition is unknown.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Roof hipped and gabletted at the left end, gabled at
the right end. Asymmetrical 3-window front, the first floor framing exposed
with curved tension braces of large scantling, the ground floor infilled with
brick of various different dates with a red clay peg-tile pentice along the
front. C18 panelled front door with an overlight to left of centre to the
cross passage. Various 2-, 3- and 4-light timber casement windows. The left
(west) return preserves the remains of a jetty with later underbuilding. The
rear elevation clearly shows the junction of the medieval and C16 frames and
the blocked rear door of the passage. Redundant mortises indicate a former
rear wing. The right (east) return has a 4-light first floor mullioned
window, blocked internally, that appears to have been part of the phase and
pre-dates the addition of the stack.
Interior: The late medieval service end preserves its original closely-spaced
joists of massive scantling to the rear (north) room with evidence of at least
one former stair. The south room is plain. On the first floor the right hand
face of the frame has a heavy soot crust on the tie-beam and 2 mortises
suggest the possibility of a canopy or smoke bay associated with the medieval
hall. The rest of the house retains most of its mid/late C16 carpentry
including chamfered stopped ceiling beams, a trimmer at the east end on the
ground floor giving evidence of the former timber-framed stack. The fireplace
has been rebuilt but the date of 1623 above the lintel appears to be original
and a chamfered scroll stopped lintel associated with the stair adjacent to
the stack suggests that stair and stack are coeval.
Roof: The roof over the lower (west) end is secondary and re-uses medieval
smoke-blackened rafters. The roof over the rest of the house is circa
mid/late C16, tie-beam with tall queen posts, clasped purlins and wind braces
of large scantling.
J.M. Edwards has suggested that the name of Lucy's is connected with Angelina
de Luch "who, in about 1220, was claiming the advowson of Leigh Church on the
death of her husband, Gilbert de Monchelsea".
An extremely attractive evolved traditional house which preserves more of its
original framing than is usual and is rich in internal carpentry.
'Dachurst Manor and Selby's Farm', text of a talk by J.M. Edwards to the Leigh
Historical Society, 21.2.96.
Listing NGR: TQ5542448190
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings