History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Uffington Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Goodnestone, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2475 / 51°14'51"N

Longitude: 1.2126 / 1°12'45"E

OS Eastings: 624301

OS Northings: 154722

OS Grid: TR243547

Mapcode National: GBR VZZ.MDV

Mapcode Global: VHLGP.YXX0

Entry Name: Uffington Court

Listing Date: 3 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363245

English Heritage Legacy ID: 177905

Location: Goodnestone, Dover, Kent, CT3

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Goodnestone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Goodnestone

Listing Text

GOODNESTONE ADISHAM
TR 25 SW
2/44 Uffington
Court
GV II
House. C16 and mid C17, extended and altered c. 1838. Red brick in irregular
and English bonds, and plain tiled roof. Two storeys and basement on plinth
with plat band and brick eaves cornice with pilaster strip quoins. Hipped
roof with gablets and central stack. Two 3 light and central 2 light wooden
casements on first floor, and two 3 light wooden casements on ground floor
with basement opening to right. Central half-glazed door with flight of
3 steps. Blocked 3 light brick mullioned window on left return and 4 light
wooden ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed windows on right return.
Rear wing of earlier brickwork, with inserted Dering windows, one dated
H.L. 1838, three on each floor, and end bay all of that date, the rear
wall of flint. Small outshot to rear of C17 date, with remains of earth
or water closet, with exterior opening for removing pans, and remains of
later gulley for direct flushing, the whole system of some age.
Interior: evidence of possible framed origin, with cellars in part flint
and rubble lined, mostly brick. Inglenook fireplace, the central stack
behind the main entrance has a barrel vaulted passage through on the line
of the entrance. Originally open well C18 stair, without balusters
but with ramped rail on turned newels, with Gothick traceried stair light,
the centre of the well now boarded in. Purchased by William Boys (of
Bonnington) to be his residence before 1629.


Listing NGR: TR2427554727

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.