This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2267 / 51°13'35"N
Longitude: 1.4032 / 1°24'11"E
OS Eastings: 637706
OS Northings: 153000
OS Grid: TR377530
Mapcode National: GBR X1Y.1KQ
Mapcode Global: VHMDG.8FNH
Plus Code: 9F336CG3+M7
Entry Name: 105a, Middle Street
Listing Date: 8 February 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363469
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177157
Location: Deal, Dover, Kent, CT14
Civil Parish: Deal
Built-Up Area: Deal
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
860/1/321 MIDDLE STREET
08-FEB-74 (West side)
House, formerly house and shop. Late C18 or early C19, renovated in later C20.
Painted brick except for ground floor which is rendered. Half-hipped tiled roof.
Two storeys with attic in end gable set endwise to the street with one window to each floor. Internally there are two rooms to each floor.
Principal east front has a brick modillion eaves cornice and plinth. C20 casement window to attic, first floor 16-pane sash and C20 bow window and right side doorcase replacing C19 shopfront.
The ground floor has an C18 two inch chamfered axial beam with runout stop in the front room and an internal multipane internal window between the two ground floor rooms, enabling a watch to be kept on the shop from the other ground floor room. The first floor also has an axial beam. The basement retains a round-headed stone arch supporting a chimneybreast.
The building has been traced back as far as 1803 when it was occupied by carpenters and builders. In the 1851 Census Returns it was occupied by Richard Mowle, a Cinque Port pilot and his family, who remained there until 1863. It was then occupied by an upholsterer and remained in this use until the 1920s. In 1927 it became a general stores called The Middle Street Stores. The building is shown on the first edition Ordnance survey map of 1872. In the later C20 the building was adapted to become entirely residential and the C19 shopfront was removed.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
* An C18 building retaining a multipane sash window externally and internally some axial beams and a multipane window between the two ground floor rooms.
* It has strong group value with a number of listed buildings within a designated conservation area.
Other nearby listed buildings