This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4424 / 51°26'32"N
Longitude: -1.9102 / 1°54'36"W
OS Eastings: 406337
OS Northings: 171491
OS Grid: SU063714
Mapcode National: GBR 3V9.HW1
Mapcode Global: VHB43.V00L
Plus Code: 9C3WC3RQ+XW
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316238
Location: Cherhill, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Cherhill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Yatesbury All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 07 SE
10/114 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church, C12 origins, C13 and C15, with chancel of
1855 by C.H. Gabriel. Ashlar with stone slate roofs and coped
gables. Nave, south porch, north aisle, west tower, chancel and
north vestry. C15 three-stage west tower with diagonal buttresses
to bottom stage, moulded plinth, string courses, embattled parapet
and corner pinnacles. Canted south stair tower up to second
stage. Two-light pointed bell-openings. West front has moulded
four-centred doorway with hoodmould under large Perpendicular 3-
light window with hood and, at second stage, a small single light.
Ashlar nave with embattled parapets, some chalk rubble visible in
east wall. South side has stepped buttresses each end, moulded
plinth and cornice, large 3-light Perpendicular windows flanking
porch and at east end, canted embattled rood-stair tower. Porch
has coped gable, pointed arch and scratch dial. North aisle is
rubble stone with some chalk and ashlar embattled parapet.
Cornice with gargoyles. Low blocked door with flat headed
Perpendicular 3-light window each side. 1855 chancel has south
side 2-light and single light windows. East end reticulated-
tracery 3-light, north side single light and lean-to vestry.
Interior: porch has C15 rafter roof. C19 neo-Norman south door,
but from inside framed in large round arch of a c1200 arcade with
round piers and round caps, one plain, one with a scroll moulding.
C15 tower arch, C15 four-bay nave roof, low-pitched with moulded
cambered tie-beams and tracery over. End bay is ceiled with stars
affixed. Early C13 Early English north arcade of 3-bays with
round piers and pointed 2-chamfer arches. Leaf motif carved over
each pier. Lean-to north aisle roof. Pointed 2-chamfer chancel
arch with hoodmould and bead stops. 1855 chancel has scissor
rafter roof, walls completely covered in painted pattern
decoration, encaustic tile floor, low stone screen and bright c1855
east window glass with attractive naive figures, monogrammed M.E.
or E.M. South windows have crudely drawn figures of c1855. In
nave, stone canted-fronted pulpit, C19, and commandment boards
enamelled on metal. On north aisle, plaque to G. Hungerford of
Studley, died 1764 and under tower one to Sarah Vaisey, died 1795.
In nave exceptional Norman font with heavy band of upright stylised
leaves below and band of trail scrolls above.
(Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine 18 1879; 319; Builder 1844;
542; N. Pevsner Wiltshire 1975; 601-2: Wilts Record Office has
plans of 1855 by C.H. Gabriel for chancel)
Listing NGR: SU0633471491
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings