This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5544 / 51°33'15"N
Longitude: -2.1086 / 2°6'31"W
OS Eastings: 392563
OS Northings: 183952
OS Grid: ST925839
Mapcode National: GBR 2RC.FQJ
Mapcode Global: VH95Z.D6L7
Plus Code: 9C3VHV3R+QG
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 28 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315788
Location: St. Paul Malmesbury Without, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: St. Paul Malmesbury Without
Built-Up Area: Corston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Corston and Rodbourne
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 98 SW ST PAUL MALMESBURY RODBOURNE ROAD, Corston
WITHOUT (north side)
8/165 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. Early C15 (bell-turret and south porch),
thorough rebuilding in 1881 with 1911 chancel. Squared and coursed
rubble with stone dressings, ashlar copings and stone slate roofs.
Nave, chancel, west bell-turret, south porch, north vestry. Nave
has 2-light C13 style windows under pointed heads with hoodmoulds
and some face stops. Chancel has single-light C15 style windows
under flat heads to side walls and a 2-light east window under
pointed head. Bell-turret open at sides with embattled fret to
cornice and lead pyramidal cap. On west face below turret a
buttress develops into a gargoyle above a C15 two-light window
under pointed head. Gabled south porch with triple-wave-moulded
entrance archway and inner round-headed doorway with plank door;
stone benches either side.
Interior. Nave and chancel in one with a barrel vault to nave and
open rafter roof to chancel. Fittings. Several wall tablets in
the nave (early C18-early C19); Perpendicular style octagonal font
on stem at south door; Jacobean oak pulpit. C15 rood screen with
C19 base, early C18 communion rail with turned balusters. First
World War Memorial stained glass to chancel east window; north
wall window has 2 attached flemish roundels of stained glass.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9256383952
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings