This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6171 / 51°37'1"N
Longitude: -2.0346 / 2°2'4"W
OS Eastings: 397702
OS Northings: 190924
OS Grid: ST977909
Mapcode National: GBR 2QP.GG4
Mapcode Global: VHB32.PM85
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 May 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315712
Location: Hankerton, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Hankerton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Hankerton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 99 SE HANKERTON CLOATLEY ROAD
3/90 Manor Farmhouse
Small manor house. C15 core range with c1600 cross wing and further range, C19 alterations and additions. Coursed rubble with some render, stone dressings and stone slate roofs: one right lateral ashlar stack, one rear central rebuilt stone stack. U-
shaped plan with C15 range to left, 1600 wing to centre with off-set porch and further C17 range to right; both end ranges project to rear and an attached service wing (now kitchen) projects to the south from the C15 range to the left. C15 wing of 2-storeys, 1-
window Upper window is a 2-light chamfered mullion, ground floor is masked by service range. Central 2-storey 1600 block with a paired 8-light cross-mullion window to ground floor and two 2-light chamfered mullions with small leaded pane casements to upper. Projecting porch with cambered-headed doorway and 3-light mullion to parvise above; 6-panel door with 2 top lights. Range to right has 2-light C20 casement to ground floor and a 2-light concrete mullion above. C15 range has another 2-light chamfered-mullion to rear gable end and the staircase tower has a 2-light chamfered oak mullion. Interior: C15 core range to the left has a dairy on the ground floor with massive chamfered beams and a 4-bay first floor hall above, now divided, with cusped trusses and ogee-cusped wind braces. In the northern section is a 1600 fireplace with
polygonal bases to its shafts and some contemporary panelling. In the angle between this wing and the central block is a fine, wide oak newel staircase which is extremely stout in spite of movement. The central wing has a ground floor hall, now divided, with a huge off-set fireplace with columned jambs and an early C17 rustic plaster ceiling with floral and heraldic motifs including wheatsheafs (a reference to the Hungerford family). Further plaster ceilings with identical decoration in the eastern range, particularly on the first floor which has a room with a coved ceiling in a very poor state of repair on resurvey (August 1986). Former kitchen to ground floor of eastern range with massive Tudor-arched fireplace. A fine small manor house, little altered, formerly the seat of the Earle family who moved to Eastcourt in the early C18.
Listing NGR: ST9770290924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings