History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Heywood House Preparatory School the Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4344 / 51°26'3"N

Longitude: -2.1855 / 2°11'7"W

OS Eastings: 387202

OS Northings: 170616

OS Grid: ST872706

Mapcode National: GBR 1RH.08V

Mapcode Global: VH96J.26GQ

Plus Code: 9C3VCRM7+QR

Entry Name: Heywood House Preparatory School the Priory

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363947

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315378

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Built-Up Area: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

ST 87 70
(south side)
5/350 The Priory (Heywood House
Preparatory School)

House, 1776, ashlar fronted with hipped, double-valley mansard
stone tiled roof and ashlar ridge stacks. Two storeys and attic,
with formal Palladian north front, 1-3-1 bays with projecting
pedimented centre, cornice and parapet to sides, raised plinth and
band and glazing bar sash windows, 6-pane to attic 12-pane
elsewhere. Central door in Roman Doric pedimented surround.
Coursed rubble side walls with parapet ramped down and 2 hipped
attic dormers. Dripcourse over upper windows. West side, 3-window
range, with upper 12-pane sashes flanking blank centre window,
floor band and ground floor 15-pane sash, blank window and 12-pane
sash. Basement under with 2-light mullion window and dripstone.
East side has 2 window range and outside stack to left. Twelve-
pane sashes with dripstones over lower pair but no band.
Interior: centre rear stair with column newels. Ground floor
front rooms with plaster friezes and cornices.
House is on the site of the parsonage, associated with the rectory
manor recorded at Domesday, held by St Stephen's Abbey, Caen in
Cll, Marmoutier Abbey in C12, Tickford Priory, Bucks in C14 and
Syon Abbey, Middlesex in C15. After the Dissolution it was held to
c1570 by R. Bellott and from c1570 to 1738 by the Smyth or Smith
family. Manor purchased 1738 by R. Neale who sold the house to H.
Pullen of Bath in 1776 who rebuilt it.
(H. Brakspear, Corsham n.d. 12-14 (reprint Wilts.Arch.Mag.43 511-

Listing NGR: ST8720270616

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.