This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4311 / 51°25'52"N
Longitude: -2.1857 / 2°11'8"W
OS Eastings: 387188
OS Northings: 170252
OS Grid: ST871702
Mapcode National: GBR 1RH.67T
Mapcode Global: VH96J.29C7
Entry Name: The Methuen Arms Hotel
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315193
Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13
Civil Parish: Corsham
Built-Up Area: Corsham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 8770 CORSHAM HIGH STREET
The Methuen Arms Hotel
Inn, front range early C19, rear wing C17 and C18. Front is of coursed rubble stone with hipped stone-tiled roof and end stacks. Three storeys, 3-window range of sashes in flush surrounds. Raised ashlar angle piers, first floor sill-course and moulded cornice, broken forward over piers. Central door in architrave with keystone set in large Roman Doric porch with paired columns to
front and pilaster responds. Three-window, 2 storey rear wing to Lacock Road with sashes and centre arched doorway with raised imposts and keystone, and chequer pattern [apparently a sign of a tavern] to the pilasters. Range beyond is mostly C17, much altered. First section has dormer gable and 3-light ovolo-moulded window over pair of sashes. Second section is 2-storey with datestone 'NNIN 1650 CW 1742', four first floor 2-light ovolo-moulded windows, 3 original, one C20 and ground floor C20 window, door, and 2 small ventilation openings with 2-light cyma-moulded window between. Third section has 4 rebuilt dormer gables with mullion windows, one original, and 4 small ventilation openings below. End
section has mullion window in east gable. North side to court and rear of main range mostly, rebuilt but some mullion windows surviving. The inn is on the site of a house called Winter's Court held by Nott family from C15 to 1732 when it passed to Webber family. Purchased by P. Methuen 1779. House was an inn in 1608, recorded as the Red Lion in 1637 and was drawn by Buckler in 1805 (Devizes Museum) and presumably rebuilt c1830.
Listing NGR: ST8718870252
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings