This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.329 / 51°19'44"N
Longitude: -2.2876 / 2°17'15"W
OS Eastings: 380060
OS Northings: 158922
OS Grid: ST800589
Mapcode National: GBR 0R5.QGF
Mapcode Global: VH96V.9VJJ
Plus Code: 9C3V8PH6+JX
Entry Name: Iford Manor
Listing Date: 13 November 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314677
Location: Westwood, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Westwood
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Westwood St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 85 NW WESTWOOD IFORD
6/229 Iford Manor
Partly in Freshford C.P., Avon.
Manor house. Late C17, refronted c1730, extended late C19 and
early C20 when altered by H. Peto for himself. Rubble stone and
limestone ashlar, stone slate or Welsh slate roofs, stone stacks.
Three-storey, 5-window early C18 front. Central.double doors in
bolection-moulded architrave with segmental pediment, two 12-pane
sashes either side with pediments. First floor has five sashes,
the centre one with segmental pediment and side bays with
triangular pediments, channelled quoins to moulded cornice and
balustraded parapet. Two-storey range to left has two sashes with
thick glazing bars to ground floor and two later sashes to first
floor, cornice to plain blocking course. Left return has door with
6 fielded panels and 12-pane sashes, C18 gabled wing attached to
left has beaded mullioned casements and sashes. Right return has
early C20 three-bay loggia with round-headed arches and wrought
iron balcony to first floor, glazed inner doors, French windows and
chamfered mullioned casements to right, three early C19 margin-pane
French windows to first floor with hoodmoulds, second floor has
bull's eye, single ovolo-moulded light and two C17 attic gables
with 2-light ovolo-mullioned casements with hoodmoulds.
Conservatory attached to right at higher level has four 2-light
casements with thick glazing bars. Rear 1930s range across
courtyard has leaded casements, late C19 rear wing has stone cross
Interior: C17 fittings include cavetto-moulded Tudor-arched
doorway in C17 wing, Tudor-arched fireplace with cusps and roll
moulds, moved by Peto, some other C17 fittings reset by H. Peto,
including stone Tudor-arched fireplaces, linenfold and wainscot
panelling also possibly reset. Early C18 rooms with full fielded
panelling, dentil cornice and fitted cupboards, fielded panelled
doors and window shutters. Early C19 open well stairs with
continuous moulded handrail, turned balusters, cantilevered stone
treads, early C19 first floor drawing room in C17 wing has reeded
door and window architraves, plaster ceiling and painted frieze by
H. Peto. Harold Peto brought his collection of sculptural carvings
here and set them in the house and garden, two fine wooden statues
of St Ann and St Barbara from north France are now in C17 wing,
some C15 stained glass, French fireplace and other fragments of
carved wood, especially in room to right of entrance.
(Country Life, September 28th 1907, August 26th 1922; N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8005758929
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings