This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3551 / 51°21'18"N
Longitude: -2.2008 / 2°12'2"W
OS Eastings: 386114
OS Northings: 161803
OS Grid: ST861618
Mapcode National: GBR 1S7.VTN
Mapcode Global: VH96W.S6WH
Entry Name: The Courts
Listing Date: 13 November 1962
Last Amended: 14 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364103
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314528
Location: Holt, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Holt
Built-Up Area: Holt
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Holt St Katharine
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8661 HOLT THE WALK
10/80 The Courts
(formerly listed as Holt Court)
Country house. Early C18, extended late C19 and early C20.
Limestone ashlar front, dressed limestone returns, stone slate roof
with gable end stone stacks and coped verges. Rambling L-plan.
Two-storey and attic, 5-window front. Central door with 8 fielded
panels in Tuscan portico with segmental pediment, round-arched side
sashes with keystones and imposts and cornices, two flanking 15-
pane sashes in moulded architraves, the inner ones with scrolled
pediments, the outer with broken pediments. First floor has
central 15-pane sash with scrolled pediment on Ionic columns and
round-arched side sashes, two flanking bays have sashes with
broken or scrolled pediments as ground floor. Raised pediment with
round-arched sash over centre, channelled quoins up to moulded
cornice. Two hipped attic dormers with 2-light casements. Left
return has two blind beaded windows to ground and first floors,
single-light casements with iron balconies to attic, attached early
C20 loggia on Ionic columns on corner. Rear has gabled C18 stair
turret and wing to left with 12-pane and 18-pane sashes, early C19
porch with round-arched sash with margin glazing bars to left,
attached early C20 two-storey addition to right with sashes and
flat roof, single-storey 1880s dining room to left, hipped dormer
to main roof. C18 L-plan services project to right of front, with
2-light cyma-mullioned casements, one in blocked doorway, gable end
has round-arched sash with keystone and imposts, lean-to extensions
attached to right return, mullioned casements to first floor.
Interior: Central entrance hall has fireplace with dentil cornice,
moulded panelling and plaster ceiling cornice, good stairs to rear
with two turned balusters per tread, wreathed moulded handrail,
dado with fielded panelling, fluted newels and pilasters on dado,
elliptical arched doorways off landings. Sitting room to left of
entrance has fireplace with scrolled frieze and dentil cornice,
full raised panelling. Library has grey marble fireplace with
paterae and Delft tiles. 1880s dining room, now billiard room, has
bolection-moulded fireplace and wainscot panelling with strapwork
frieze, said to be from Tytherton Manor, panelled ceiling.
Probably built for a clothier, until 1888 there was a mill within
the grounds. Early C20 additions by Sir George Hastings who also
laid out features in the garden. Now a property of the National
(Country Life, 1st and 8th January, 1943)
Listing NGR: ST8611461803
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings