This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.389 / 51°23'20"N
Longitude: -2.2798 / 2°16'47"W
OS Eastings: 380628
OS Northings: 165584
OS Grid: ST806655
Mapcode National: GBR 0QF.SHY
Mapcode Global: VH96N.FCM2
Entry Name: Monkton Farleigh Manor
Listing Date: 13 November 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364109
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314567
Location: Monkton Farleigh, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Monkton Farleigh
Built-Up Area: Monkton Farleigh
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Monkton Farleigh St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 86 NW MONKTON FARLEIGH MONKTON FARLEIGH VILLAGE
2/121 Monkton Farleigh Manor
Country house. Early to mid C18, altered c1870, on site of Cluniac
priory founded 1125. Limestone ashlar, hipped stone slate roof
with stone stacks. Rambling L-plan. Two-storey, 8-window entrance
front. Central glazed Tuscan portico with half-glazed double
doors, three 12-pane sashes in moulded architraves to left, three
blocked windows and one sash to raised ground floor to right.
Moulded string course to first floor; four 12-pane sashes to left
and two sashes and two blocked to right. Moulded eaves cornice
with consoles. Two gabled dormers with 2-light casements to attic.
Wing projecting to left has half-glazed door to left of centre, two
sashes to left and to right in moulded architraves with pulvinated
friezes, first floor has four sashes in bolection-moulded
architraves, moulded eaves cornice, lead rainwater head dated
WS/1762; initials of Webb Seymour, Duke of Somerset, three gabled
attic dormers, in angle between front and wing is 6-panelled door
with sash over. South gable end of wing has two bolection-moulded
sashes to ground and first floors. Rear of wing has C19 stone
cross windows and pair of pointed lancets to gabled projection to
right, blocked openings to left part, attic gable with 3-light
chamfered mullioned casement, various reset fragments of C12
moulding from the priory, including a coffin lid with carved cross.
East front, right return probably a remodelling of c1870, with
seven 12-pane sashes to raised ground and first floors, all in
moulded architraves with mask keystones, alternate cornices or
plain pediments over sashes, basement with oculi, channelled quoins
to modillioned cornice and plain blocking course, three dormers
with alternate segmental or plain pediments and 16-pane sashes.
Remains of orangery attached to right, now only 3 bays. Rear of
main range has C19 flat-roofed additions, three blind C18 windows
to first floor to left, pedimented chimney stacks.
Interior: house extensively remodelled in 1870s and C20, when
divided into three separate dwellings; centre flat in west wing
has moulded cross beam ceiling with carved bosses, also entrance
hall of main house, probably late C16, but dated 1919 in room known
as Bishop Jewel's Room in west wing has early C18 full panelling.
Main house has 6-panelled doors, shuttered windows, marble
fireplaces, C19 plaster ceiling margins, C19 stairs with stick
balusters. Bedroom retains C18 fielded panelling, fluted
pilasters to round arched niche, egg and dart moulded ceiling
cornice. House occupied by Seymour family 1737 to 1804, Wade
Brown, the builder of Brown's Folly (q.v.) 1842 to 1851 and the
Hobhouse family here from c1870, to present day. East front
overlooks fine avenue.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; W.A.M. Vol
Listing NGR: ST8062865584
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings