This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2812 / 51°16'52"N
Longitude: -2.1008 / 2°6'2"W
OS Eastings: 393063
OS Northings: 153571
OS Grid: ST930535
Mapcode National: GBR 2VN.PNZ
Mapcode Global: VH97B.J2Q4
Plus Code: 9C3V7VJX+FM
Entry Name: Becketts House
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Last Amended: 5 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313811
Location: Edington, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Edington
Built-Up Area: Edington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Edington and Imber
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
EDINGTON TINHEAD ROAD
ST 95 SW
5/172 Becketts House
(formerly listed as A Becketts)
Detached house. Circa 1600, extended to south mid C17 and parlour
wing added to north west c1700. Square-panelled timber-framing to
earliest range, C17 ranges rubble stone and dressed limestone, 2-
span tiled roof with paired ashlar stacks. Two parallel ranges,
baffle entry at former gable end of earliest range. Two-storey,
5-window. Six-panelled studded door to left of centre with date
1623 scratched into one panel, 4-light casement to left, 4-light
leaded casement, C20 recessed door and 2-light casement to right.
First floor has string course and two 2-light casements to mid C17
stone range to left, 2-light casements, fixed window and 3-light
casement to right timber-framed part. Left return has C20
casements and 3-light wooden mullioned casement to ground floor.
Right return has casements to front range, C17 rear range has 3-
light and 2-light ovolo-mullioned casements with hoodmoulds to
gable end. Rear has mullioned casements and string courses.
Interior not accessible at time of survey (July 1986), but recorded
1979 by RCHM. 1600 range has hall with cross beams and mid C17
plaster ceiling decorated with roses, birds and lions, open
fireplace with Tudor-arched moulded surround, blocked window with
arched lights survives in former external south wall, contemporary
cross wing on west side retains original roof. Mid C17 south
range with 2-span roof has open fireplace with chamfered lintel on
stone jambs, chamfered beams; probably added as service range.
Early C18 parlour range has unchamfered beams, bolection moulded
fireplace with cornice to ground floor. Probably associated with
the Whitaker family of clothiers.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)
Listing NGR: ST9306353571
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings