This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.152 / 51°9'7"N
Longitude: -2.0581 / 2°3'29"W
OS Eastings: 396032
OS Northings: 139199
OS Grid: ST960391
Mapcode National: GBR 2X8.NGY
Mapcode Global: VHB5D.89TP
Plus Code: 9C3V5W2R+RQ
Entry Name: Church of St Cosmas and St Damian
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Last Amended: 11 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313565
Location: Sherrington, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Sherrington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Sherrington St Cosmo and St Damian
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SHERRINGTON CHURCH LANE
ST 93 NE
7/92 Church of St Cosmas
and St Damian (formerly listed as
11.9.68 Church of St Michael and All Angels)
Anglican parish church. C14, rebuilt 1624. Dressed limestone,
fishscale tiled roof with stone slate eaves and coped verges.
Plan: nave with west bellcote, south porch, chancel. Gabled south
porch with semi-circular arched doorway with cyma moulding and
imposts, coped verge, stone slate roof, recessed panel with arms of
Thomas Lambert of Boyton and date 1624 over door, initials SG
inscribed on stone to right. Nave has 2-light square-headed window
with plain pointed lights to left and right of porch and single
semi-circular headed window to right, buttress with offsets.
Chancel has two C14 two-light square-headed windows with ogee
cusping to south and north, diagonal buttresses and 4-light C14
window with interlaced tracery to east, north side also has ovolo-
moulded pointed doorway with lozenge-shaped datestone over
inscribed TL/1624/HG; datestone inscribed 1624/HG over east
window. North side of nave has blocked pointed doorway, 2-light
C17 windows with pointed lights either side, buttresses with
offsets. West end has diagonal buttresses, C14 three-light window
with reticulated tracery, chamfered lancet over. C19 bellcote in
ashlar to west gable with chamfered Tudor-arched openings and
hoodmoulds with foliated terminals, fleur de lis shaped ridge
Interior: Porch has fixed stone benches, pointed chamfered inner
doorway with good ledged door. Nave has plastered barrel-vaulted
roof with ovolo-moulded wooden ribs and carved bosses, divided into
5 bays, flagstone floors. Plastered walls with good surviving
painted cartouches with Biblical inscriptions and prayers, one with
date 1630, uncovered 1939 and restored by Janet Becker. Moulded
pointed chancel arch, chancel has 2-bay collar-truss roof with
clasped purlins, previously plastered and ceiled at collar.
Fittings: Good little altered fittings of early C17 throughout
church. C17 pews with shell-headed bench ends'with floral carving,
some strapwork friezes on high-backed pew near south door,
polygonal carved wooden pulpit, communion table with turned legs,
communion rails with turned balusters and Tuscan newels, strapwork
carving on rail. Restored C13 octagonal stone font at west end
with C17 wooden cover. Queen Ann Royal Arms over chancel arch.
Panelled reredos in chancel in same style as pews, in memory of
rector died 1909. Stained glass of 1900 in east window, some reset
C17 roundels of Flemish glass in chancel. Monuments include a
limestone gothic-style tablet in chancel to Mason Anderson died
(N. Pevsner, The Build of England, Wiltshire, 1975; R.D.
Richardson, Church Guide)
Listing NGR: ST9603539198
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings