This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1949 / 51°11'41"N
Longitude: -2.1482 / 2°8'53"W
OS Eastings: 389743
OS Northings: 143973
OS Grid: ST897439
Mapcode National: GBR 1VF.3Q1
Mapcode Global: VH97P.Q76B
Entry Name: Bishopstrowe Mill
Listing Date: 13 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313473
Location: Bishopstrow, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Bishopstrow
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bishopstrow St Aldhelm
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 84 SE (west side)
The Mill House
the address shall be amended to read
Bishopstrowe Mill House
and the description shall be amended to read
Mill - Workers cottages and granary, now all one house. C18 with additions
of early C19. Painted rubble stone with brick dressings, tiled roof with hip
to left, brick stacks. Two-storey, 7-windowed front; casements. Four-panelled
mid C19 door in latticed porch to right, canted bay with 4-pane sashes and 2-
light and 3-light case iron casements to left. First floor has four 2-light
and single light cast iron casements with segmental heads. Attached to right
is early C19 former granary with 3-light casement in blocked cart entry and
blocked round-arched doorway with keystone and imposts to ground floor and two
2-light casements to first, double-roman tiled roof with coped verge to left.
Left return has planked door in hipped porch. Rear has mainly C20 casements
and C20 conservatory to left, first floor retains some cast iron casements.
Interior not inspected.
ST 84 SE
3/10 Bishopstrowe Mill
Mill, now house. Mostly rebuilt after fire of 1856, but with C18 and earlier
work; converted to house 1972/3. Red brick, in English bond to front, English
garden wall bond to rear, with some coursed rubblestone and earlier brick.
Double-roman clay tiles to roof. 3 storeys with attic; 4 1st-floor windows
(5 roof bays). Base of wall of rubble, of varying height, on right rising to
2nd floor and with quoins. To right of centre, C20 board stable door under
bracketed canopy. Two windows to each side on each floor, those on right more
closely set, all having small-pane 2-light casements, and all openings with
segmental double header-brick arches. Between left-hand 2nd-floor windows is
rebuilt attic hoist, of vertical boards, gabled and with casement. Ends of
tie-rods at eaves. Wide C20 dormer on right. Raised verges with shaped kneelers
and ashlar coping which is roll-moulded at apex. On left, straight joint between
mill and former granary, now part of The Mill House (q.v.). Rear: 5 bays,
stone at base of wall as front, at left end with quoins and rising to 2nd floor
and with some older brick. Central C20 glazed doors on ground and 1st floors
(the latter with balcony). 2-light windows, all having concrete lintels; flat-
roofed attic dormers. C20 conservatory on right with opening of mill race below;
this has sluice gate with C20 winding gear. Right return: of stone and older
brick with former lower roof-line indicated. On 2nd floor a re-used probably
early C17 window on 2-lights with hollow-moulding to double-chamfered surround,
sunk spandrels, 4-centred-arched lights and dripmould. Blocked brick-arched
window with stone sill to gable. Stone eaves course. Left return: only the
2nd floor and attic are visible; they are of rubblestone with brick quoins,
bands, eaves course and surround to 2-light gable window.
Interior: the mill race is visible from above, the lower courses constructed
of large stone blocks. On ground floor, former doorway to granary (now part
of The Mill House (q.v.)). Some large-scantling cross-beams. Collared principal
rafter roof trusses with iron ties, bolts and straps; through purlins; plank
A mill is recorded at Bishopstrowe in Domesday; in the C17 the mill passed into
the ownership of the Temple family of Bishopstrowe Manor, whose possession it
remained until the 1950s. The mill operated as such until 1969 (information
supplied by present owner).
Listing NGR: ST8974343973
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings