This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1475 / 51°8'50"N
Longitude: -2.1959 / 2°11'45"W
OS Eastings: 386395
OS Northings: 138710
OS Grid: ST863387
Mapcode National: GBR 1VR.X8Y
Mapcode Global: VH97V.WFH5
Entry Name: Church of St Michael the Archangel
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Last Amended: 1 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364380
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313263
Location: Brixton Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Brixton Deverill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BRIXTON DEVERILL BRIXTON DEVERILL VILLAGE
ST 83 NE
5/42 Church of St. Michael the Archangel
(formerly listed as the Church of
11.9.68 St Michael)
Anglican parish church. C13, C15 tower, restoration of 1730 and
1862. Dressed limestone, tiled chancel roof, stone slates to nave.
Plan: Nave, chancel, north-east vestry, west tower over entrance.
Restored west door has pointed arch with attached shafts and square
hoodmould with quatrefoils to spandrels. C14 style ogee-headed
window with crocketed hoodmould to second stage of 3-stage tower,
offset bellstage has 2-light Perpendicular window with louvres to
west side, other side has single pointed window with louvres,
cornice to plain parapet with gableted spirelets to corners,
inscription records a former spire and renovation in 1852, diagonal
buttresses. South side of nave has two C19 Decorated style windows
with hoodmoulds and unfinished terminals, central buttress, C18
coved cornice. South side of chancel has two recessed chamfered
lancets, C19 priest's doorway with planked door, east end has C19
geometric-style window, north side has attached lean-to vestry with
lancet. North side of nave has two 2-light windows with
Interior: Plain double-chamfered pointed tower arch, probably C18.
Stone floors throughout. C18 nave ceiling with deeply coved
plaster cornice with guilloche ornament. Good C13 chancel arch
with triple shafts, the main one with keel moulding, moulded
capitals, well-moulded arch with dogtooth ornament and square
chamfered responds. Two-bay chancel has C19 braced collar roof on
stone corbels, high sills to restored windows, chamfered pointed
doorway to vestry. Good pews with fielded panels, possibly C18.
Fine Romanesque stone font with chevron decoration to cylindrical
bowl and C17 font cover, in entrance and brought here from Imber,
Church of St. Giles (q.v. Imber C.P.). C17 carved panels set on
north wall of chancel, possibly from a poorbox. Monuments include
a Gothic tablet in nave to Rev. William Barnes, died 1858,
classical marble to Edward and Mary Frowd, died 1776 and 1803,
signed by J. Chapman of Frome, two marbles in porch signed by T.
King of Bath; to Harriet Woodroffe, died 1806 and to Rev. Arthur
Coham, died 1799. Unsigned stained glass of 1860s, by same company
throughout church. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England:
Listing NGR: ST8639538710
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings