This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2048 / 51°12'17"N
Longitude: -2.1815 / 2°10'53"W
OS Eastings: 387418
OS Northings: 145077
OS Grid: ST874450
Mapcode National: GBR 1V6.F8V
Mapcode Global: VH97H.4ZL9
Plus Code: 9C3V6R39+WC
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312952
Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Warminster
Built-Up Area: Warminster
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Warminster St Denys
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WARMINSTER MARKET PLACE
No 6 (Town Hall)
ST 8745 SW 6/3
Circa 1837 by Edward Blore. Tudor style in imitation of Longleat (a 2 storey
replica of a section of Longleat in fact). Ashlar built. Main front 2 bays
linked by porch, above which are the Thyme Arms. Moulded cornices with fascia
and friezes over ground and 1st floors, broken around bays and on ground floor
across porch. Parapet with central bellcote which is supported by scrolls
and has strapwork over. The 2 square bays have Doric ground floor and Ionic
1st floor framing pilasters and 3 light mullions and transom windows with
moulded architraves. Linking porch has round headed entrance with moulded
architrave and impost string. Steps up to low cast-iron gates with dog-rails.
12 panel doors with glazing bar overlight. Small window behind coat of arms
above porch, and small panel over containing clock.
The return to Weymouth Street is partly of ashlar, partly of small squared
rubble with a panelled chimney and a further entrance. The building was
given to the town by the 5th Marquis of Bath in 1903.
Listing NGR: ST8741845077
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings