This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2073 / 51°12'26"N
Longitude: -2.1824 / 2°10'56"W
OS Eastings: 387354
OS Northings: 145364
OS Grid: ST873453
Mapcode National: GBR 1V6.72G
Mapcode Global: VH97H.4X3B
Plus Code: 9C3V6R49+W2
Entry Name: Portway House
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Last Amended: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364442
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312972
Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Warminster
Built-Up Area: Warminster
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Warminster St Denys
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Nos 31 and 33
as No 19 (Portway
ST 8745 SW 6/95 28.4.52.
Rebuilt 1722 by Edward Middlecott, a wealthy clothier. Dower House to Longleat
1820-1920. Recently Urban District HQ. Bath stone ashlar; basement and 3
storeys flanked by 2 storey wings. 7 bay centre, 3 bay wings. Set well back
from road. Moulded plinth, moulded strings over 1st and ground floor windows.
Moulded cornice broken over end caps and caps of pilasters framing centre
bay. Low parapet with moulded coping and ball finials; small lead panel in
centre with initals M.E.M. over 1722. Glazing bar sash windows with moulded
architraves, cills and deep aprons on moulded bases, resting on strings across
front. Angle pilasters at each floor level with panelled and moulded plinths.
1st and 2nd floor centre window framed by fluted pilasters with unfinished
capping, broken pediment over 1st floor. Central door replaced by large angular
bay of 3 lights in matching style with angle pilasters (window larger). Flanking
2 light basement windows, 2 on each side of bay (with railings on left).
Original doorpiece moved to recessed linking bay to left hand wing; panelled
Doric pilasters with carved enrichment to necking and segmental pediment over
entablature; steps up with base piers having large ball finials with scalloped
bases. 2 storey slightly recessed wings in matching style, probably late
C19 (said to date from circa 1760). Left hand wing with recessed link for
entrance, see above. 2 bays and further doorway in single storey extension
with flat hood of semi-circular plan (No 31). The west front more balanced
composition, simplified. 10 panel door in centre with simple segmental pediment.
Terrace in front with steps at east end framed by ashlar piers with moulded
caps and carved stone vases. Interior retains some of its panelled rooms
and at least 2 good contemporary marble fireplaces, one with good shell niche
cupboard to right in former Dining room. The original staircase is very
good: 3 turned balusters to tread, fluted newel posts, ramped moulded rail
and panelled and inlaid dado, cut strings with enriched ends and moulded undersides
to steps; stair branches at landing below 1st floor. Panelled annexe to south-east
of hall with fluted prize. Vaulted basement.
Listing NGR: ST8735445364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings