This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3423 / 51°20'32"N
Longitude: -1.7042 / 1°42'15"W
OS Eastings: 420697
OS Northings: 160398
OS Grid: SU206603
Mapcode National: GBR 4Y2.V92
Mapcode Global: VHC22.DJWB
Plus Code: 9C3W87RW+W8
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 13 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364554
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312403
Location: Easton, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Easton
Built-Up Area: Easton Royal
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Tagged with: Church building
EASTON ROYAL EAST ON ROYAL
SU 26 SW
2/197 Church of the Holy Trinity
Anglican parish church, 1591, for Sir Edward Seymour, Earl of
Hertford, on site of medieval parish church, lengthened to west by
1 bay in 1852-3 by T.H. Wyatt, for Marquis of Ailesbury, and south
vestry with tower added. Banded limestone rubble and flint, with
tiled roof with crested ridges. Nave with north porch and south
vestry tower. Two and 3-light windows with four centred heads,
without cusping, inset in square chamfered openings. Angle
buttresses at corners. West door, also four centred with waisted
shields in blind spandrels, label mould and 3-light window over,
probably also of 1591 and reset in extended bay. East window C19,
Perpendicular style. Gabled porch with door similar to west door,
C17 graffiti on jambs, and inner door with four centred arch.
Interior: Nave and chancel without differentiation. Six bay roof,
tie-beam trusses with king posts and arch braced collars. Short
end struts with inserted quatrefoiled timber panels. Two tiers of
purlins. Windbraces to bay 3. Walls plastered and floor aisles
flagged. Sanctuary raised 3 steps and tiled. Fittings: Font,
1591, small limestone bowl on stem. Pulpit, sanctuary rails and
pews C19, oak. Glass: East window by Lavers and Barraud, 1864.
Monuments: Seymour monuments removed to Great Bedwyn church
(q.v.). North wall:
a) Wall tablet, 1820, white and grey marble. Cushioned oval with
garland border set on grey rectangle, by Blore of Piccadilly.
To William Butcher, died 1818, his wife and her brother.
b) White marble on black by Hale of Baker Street. Oval panel with
separate inscription, mounted on black field. To Revd David
Llewellyn, died 1868, and wife.
c) Slate with gilded lettering, to Mary Cooper, died 1973.
South side three wall monuments:
a) White marble on black, also by Hale. Raised chest with anchor,
cross and chain over. To David Llewellyn, surgeon to
Confederate war steamer 'Alabama', died at sea 1864.
b) Tablet. White marble with grey fluted pilasters and pediment.
To Rev James Lawes, died 1828, and wife.
c) Memorial slab erected 1950. Polished limestone and slate,
commemorating eminent persons of parish whose memorials are no
longer extant, including Sir Geoffrey Esturmey, died 1245,
later family and successors including Sir John Seymour, died
Also 3 Powell brasses of C19 and 1 Great War brass. At rear of
church two donation boards: (1) C18. William Francis, an
investment of £500 for the poor, and (2) Rev Lawes, investment of
£100 also for the poor. Also a cast iron plate recording £20 paid
for repewing the church, reserving seats for the poor.
A Trinitarian friary, founded by Stephen, archdeacon of Wiltshire,
in 1245 was probably sited a short distance to the east of the
medieval parish church. The present building is an interesting
example of the simple form taken by the Elizabethan protestant
(Easton Royal: A Short History, Sir H.H. Bashford, 1961; W.A.M.,
li, 365) -
Listing NGR: SU2069760398
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings