This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2669 / 51°16'0"N
Longitude: -1.5586 / 1°33'30"W
OS Eastings: 430891
OS Northings: 152060
OS Grid: SU308520
Mapcode National: GBR 60K.GRQ
Mapcode Global: VHC2J.XFW5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 8 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312306
Location: Chute Forest, Wiltshire, SP11
Civil Parish: Chute Forest
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
CHUTE FOREST LIMEKILN ROAD
SU 35 SW
10/98 Church of St Mary
Redundant parish church. 1875, by J.L. Pearson for Fowle family.
Knapped flint with brick strings and dressings, tiled roofs. Nave
with aisles and south-west porch, chancel with tall vestry at right
angles on north side, and tower with spire at east end of south
aisles. Gabled porch with stone inner chamfered order on impost
columns, and hoodmould. Short lancets to aisles, also with inner
stone frame, and similar lancets to chancel. Triple equal east and
west lancets, the west having a quatrefoil over. Flush brick mid
wall band and chequer pattern above a higher string. Tower of 3
stages, unbuttressed. Tall twin bell openings in stepped brick
reveals. Pyramidal spire over slight corbel table. Interior
Interior: Exposed tuck pointed brick with blue brick patterning.
Nave and chancel in one, divided by brick transverse pointed arches
on varied stone corbels, the arches continued as lower arches over
aisles. Arcade of 2 bays to narrow aisles, single bay to chancel
and blind arcades to sanctuary. Roof open trussed rafters, with
braces to lower arcade plates carried on the transverse arches.
High collars. Windows have wide brick embrasures and rere-arches.
Chancel floor raised and paved with encaustic tiles, and 3 steps to
altar table. Stone bench sedilia and attached vessel table.
Carved Portland stone reredos of Christ and Evangelists,
quatrefoils below. Vestry has north window and external door. Two
vestment cupboards. Fittings: Font, octagonal on a series of
small attached shafts. Pulpit, on left, also stone, bold
panelling, and steps with parapet. Readers' desks, choir stalls
and nave pews contemporary. Bells removed to St Nicholas, Upper
Chute (q.v.). Glass: East window by Clayton and Bell, 1914. West
windows 1914, in different style. Monuments: At west end. Gilded
slate lozenge tablet, to Capt Frank G. Fowle, died 1942. An
important and unaltered building by an eminent C19 architect.
Listing NGR: SU3089152060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings