This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3428 / 51°20'33"N
Longitude: -1.7287 / 1°43'43"W
OS Eastings: 418990
OS Northings: 160444
OS Grid: SU189604
Mapcode National: GBR 4Y1.MS0
Mapcode Global: VHB4L.ZHGZ
Plus Code: 9C3W87VC+4G
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311685
Location: Milton Lilbourne, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Milton Lilbourne
Built-Up Area: Milton Lilbourne
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
MILTON LILBOURNE THE STREET
SU 16 SE (west side)
Church of St. Peter
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1875 by J.L.
Pearson. Flint and limestone, ashlar to tower. Lead and tiled
roofs. Nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel, and west
tower. South porch gabled, door with large mask terminals to a
segmental hood, angel above. Nave south wall rebuilt 1875, square
headed windows with two 2-light clerestory windows with monolithic
heads. Two-light chancel windows and C19 three-light east window.
Tower, C15, 2 stage with angle buttresses and stair in south east
corner. Low west door and window over. Two-light bell openings
and crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles.
Interior: Nave has C13 four-bay arcade to north aisle, round
columns and capitals, and some with spurred bases. Walls
replastered in C19. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into
C13 responds. Large tower arch. Roof open, probably C19. Chancel
largely refitted in C19, three-bay arch-braced roof on carved head
corbels. Mouldings under east window. Aisle has arched wall tomb,
the chest missing but carved back and panelled soffit, and reset
fragmentary encaustic tiles at floor level. Fittings: Font, under
tower, octagonal bowl C19, on C13 five-columned base. Pulpit
reconstructed with C17 carved boards. Readers desk similar. Pews
all late C17 panelled work restored in C19. Vestry screen in aisle
also contains C17 panelling. Organ late 019 in carved oak
enclosure. Glass: Fragments of medieval glass in head of chancel
south window. Brass: Unfixed in chancel, of 1705 to John Michell.
Monuments: Chancel; wall tablet, early C19, to Rev John Starkie
Jackson, died 1822. In Nave; lead plaque, 1823 to Elizabeth
Richmond Wells. Wall tablet to Lieut William Gale, died 1888,
detailing his career. In Aisle; two wall tablets, white on red
marble, to Gladys Stewart died 1903, by Lloyd of Bedwyn, and
William Butcher, died 1821, by Reeves of Bath. Arms of 1782 over
chancel arch, also paternoster, creed and commandment boards.
Furniture: Small mid C18 chest with 2 fielded panels. Caucasian
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire.)
Listing NGR: SU1899060444
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings