This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2807 / 52°16'50"N
Longitude: -1.5869 / 1°35'12"W
OS Eastings: 428280
OS Northings: 264805
OS Grid: SP282648
Mapcode National: GBR 5M4.TX9
Mapcode Global: VHBXH.FYY0
Plus Code: 9C4W7CJ7+76
Entry Name: Okens House
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364795
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307412
Location: Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34
Civil Parish: Warwick
Built-Up Area: Warwick
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Warwick St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1781 CASTLE STREET
No 20 (Oken's
SP 2864 NW 1/6 10.1.53.
Late C15 important timber-framed house (historical associations). Long
inscription on gable end facing up the street states that Thomas Oken,
who was a wealthy mercer of the town (died 1573), gave this house for charitable
purposes --- it was restored in 1864. This gabled end is jettied at first
floor and has a certain amount of heavy curved timber framing which is
original. Practically all of remainder of external framing and infilling
appears to date from C19 but the character of the building has been
preserved. East elevation has two identical flush gables C19 barge
boards and finials. Roof of old tiles. ? interior. Now houses the Warwick
Doll Museum. Thomas Oken, mercer, was the last Warden of the Guild of
the Holy Trinity and Saint Mary and one of the first burgesses of the town
of Warwick, incorporated 1545. VCH, viii, p.426.
Nos 10, 12, 16 and 20 form a group.
Listing NGR: SP2828064804
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings