This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2793 / 52°16'45"N
Longitude: -1.5848 / 1°35'5"W
OS Eastings: 428424
OS Northings: 264656
OS Grid: SP284646
Mapcode National: GBR 5MB.24S
Mapcode Global: VHBXH.HZ11
Plus Code: 9C4W7CH8+P3
Entry Name: Warwick Castle
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307361
Location: Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34
Civil Parish: Warwick
Built-Up Area: Warwick
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Warwick St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1781 Warwick Castle
SP 2864 NW 1/301 10.1.53.
Early site, probably dating from pre-Norman times. Much mediaeval work
remains. Good C18 and later additions. In 1871 a fire gutted the Great
Hall and East Wing, these being restored by Anthony Salvin. This castle,
(containing a fine collection of antiques and works of art) is considered
of very great national interest. Main block with C14 walls and vaulted
undercroft. Caesan's tower and Guy's tower, the Gatehouse and its Barbican
also C14. The curtain walls may date from this period. Bear and Clarence
towers C15, left incomplete 1485 and later given battlements; probably
intended as a stronghold within the castle similar to that at Raglan.
Late C17 internal features include exceptional plasterwork and wood carvings
to the Cedar Room by Roger and William Hurlbut, completed 1678. Altered
1753-5 by Lancelot Brown, who rebuilt the porch and stairway to the Great
Hall. Porch extended forward and additional rooms built beside it, 1763-9,
by Timothy Lightoler. Watergate tower restored by A Salvin 1861-3. AM.
VCH, viii, pp.454-64.
Warwick Castle, with its Boundary Walls, Stables, Conservatory, Mill
and Lodge form a group.
Listing NGR: SP2842464656
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings