This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2498 / 52°14'59"N
Longitude: -1.5419 / 1°32'30"W
OS Eastings: 431371
OS Northings: 261388
OS Grid: SP313613
Mapcode National: GBR 6NX.T60
Mapcode Global: VHBXQ.7Q65
Entry Name: Church of Saint Chad
Listing Date: 11 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307977
Location: Bishop's Tachbrook, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV33
Civil Parish: Bishop's Tachbrook
Built-Up Area: Bishop's Tachbrook
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Tachbrook St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
BISHOPS TACHBROOK Mallory Road
Church of Saint Chad
Parish church. Circa mid-Cl2 origin indicated by the angles of the nave,
blocked windows in north wall of chancel, and a re-set doorway in north aisle.
North aisle and west tower added late in C14 followed by south aisle early in
C15 and then the clerestory. East and south walls of chancel rebuilt in 1855.
Vestry built in 1898. Chancel east window of three lights and tracery. Two
south windows each of one light and tracery. In north wall, which is covered
by the vestry, are two small C12 blocked windows. Steeply pitched plain tile
nave roof. North aisle has a modern east window of two lights and tracery. In
north wall are three late-Cl4 windows, each of two-trefoil lights and tracery
in a square head, and a re-set walled-up C12 doorway. The west window is of
two lights under a square head. Two large modern raking buttresses between
windows in north wall. Low pitched lead roof. South aisle has modern east
window of two lights under square head. Three south windows, easternmost is of
two cinque-foiled lights under a square head, the other two are of two-trefoiled
lights with foiled spandrels under square heads. West window is of two plain
square-headed lights. Modern pointed south doorway of two chamfered orders and
hood mould. Pitched plain tile roof. Clerestory has three windows on north
side and four on south, each of two-trefoiled ogee headed lights and foiled
spandrels in a square head. Plain parapet. Gabled C18 south porch with
three-centred entrance archway. West tower of three storeys. Restored
embattled parapets. Diagonal buttresses at angles. West window of three
cinque-foiled lights and restored tracery in a two-centred head. Below is cut
a modern doorway. Bell chamber lighted by tall narrow windows of two-trefoiled
lights and a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. Interior: Modern barrel vaulted
roof to chancel. Acutely pointed chancel arch of two chamfered orders. Nave
roof divided into four bays by hollow chamfered cross-beams and wall-posts of
C15 date, but it was reconstructed in 1704, date carved on westernmost beam.
Nave has north and south arcades of three bays. Northern has pointed arches,
those to south arcade are of slightly less span and height. Tower arch is
two-centred with two hollow chamfered orders. Communion table is of C17 date.
Font in south aisle is modern. Wall paintings on south wall of south aisle are
of C15 and C16 date. Pulpit, circa 1860. Stained glass in east window of
north aisle by William Morris and Philip Webb - 1863. Monuments: on north side
chancel large monument to Coombe Wagstaff, 1668. On south side chancel
monument to Sir Thomas Wagstaff and his wife, 1708. On same wall monument to
John Wagstaffe and his wife Alice, 1681. In north aisle two tablets to John
Rous and his wife, 1687 and to three daughters of Walter and Elizabeth Landor,
1854. On south aisle monument to Ann Burslem, 1794.
Listing NGR: SP3137361386
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings